Cabinet Finish

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Winder

Cabinet Finish

Post by Winder »

I'm getting close to completing a cabinet for my Express, and I'm considering finish options. It's cherry wood, and I'm thinking natural (i.e. no stain) but I'm wondering what the typical finish was on the originals (shellac, varnish, oil, ???)? Is there a general consensus? Here's are the pieces dry-fitted before I completed the roundovers. I hope to glue up this weekend and then cut the mitered pieces for the front. This is literally the first woodworking I've ever done, so it's been a slow process.

Bob S

Re: Cabinet Finish

Post by Bob S »

A tip I got from our missing brother Tom (Structo) is Tru Oil.
Easy to apply, short drying time - 4 to 6 hours & you can get some stunning results with multiple layers.
Don't use this if you have OCD tendencies...
Why Aye Man
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

Cant help but that looks great. Cant tell that's your first woodworking project at all :)
xtian

Post by xtian »

I've used Tru Oil (gun stock oil) on a few cabs. Good stuff, easy to work. You really can just stop after two or three coats for a lovely satin finish, or you can keep applying coats for a shiny look.

I also tried French Polish technique with true shellac. Great finish, but lots of work required.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
DaveWell

Post by DaveWell »

Nive Work !
Pretty clean cut !
ampmike

Post by ampmike »

Hey Buddy,disreguard my PM,Your doing great,Lookin good bro,Tung oil lots of coats wetsand inbetween.Just soapy mix and sand paper 1500 .One of my painter friends cant believe its not some spray laquer.I have spraye a few cabs but the Tung oil really works well around ten coats.You can put some minwaxx on them and buff them to a degree as well.Your build is looking very fine,if you have any need of help call me ok,Mikey
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
Winder

Post by Winder »

ampmike,

After reading your reply to my questions in the other thread, I bought 100% Tung Oil. :mrgreen: I've tested it on a piece of scrap, and I think it's just what the doctor ordered. The shine on your cabs snd depth of finish sold me. Hard to believe the shine you get is from Tung Oil - amazing. Do you literally mean soapy water and 1500 grit, or wet sanding with the oil itself? I hope to glue up this weekend. Still need to cut the "picture frame" for the front. This style of cab requires an awful lot of different types of cut.
Winder

Post by Winder »

Glued up today. Not perfect by any means. Need to cut the "picture frame" for the front and then I can finish. :D

Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

Use a 1/4" round off Router bit with a Bering roller to take off those square edges, otherwise, looks great.
Ron
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

Double post.
Ron
Winder

Post by Winder »

Almost ready to apply the finish! :D

Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Nice work!
Coyotesgator

Post by Coyotesgator »

Looking good!
What Happened?

Who let the magic smoke out?
ampmike

Post by ampmike »

Awesome job,The 1500 gritt is just with a little soapy water around the later ending coats.As the Tung oil gets around 5 or 6 coats you might feel just a little rough spots.This with smooth it like glass than your final two light coats.Just use like dawn dish with water.With 1000 even be fine .Lookin awesome !!!!!
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
Winder

Post by Winder »

Finally finished the cab. Took about three weeks for the 100% Tung Oil to cure. Came out pretty good for a first timer, I think.