Liverpool Transformer Questions

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jferris5

Liverpool Transformer Questions

Post by jferris5 »

I'm considering a Liverpool build and have a Pacific PT and OT for an express. Does the Express and Liverpool use the same transformers? If so would i use the 280V or 250V primaries? Also for the OT would the 6k6 be ok considering many quad el84 use around 4k?

I've read a few things during my research including the Liverpool used a 5k2 OT however in the later days the same transformers as the express with the 6k6.

I could use some input from the gurus on this one. It would be nice to not have to shell out for some new iron :).

Thanks!
Colossal

Re: Liverpool Transformer Questions

Post by Colossal »

You will be fine using the 250VAC tap (this is "loaded" in Pacific's world) and the 6k6 primary on your OT. The results are excellent. Beautiful jangly and chewy/creamy distortion.
jferris5

Post by jferris5 »

Beautiful jangly and chewy/creamy distortion.
Thanks Colossal! That is exactly what I'm after...lol!
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

jferris5 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:58 pm...I've read a few things during my research including the Liverpool used a 5k2 OT however in the later days the same transformers as the express with the 6k6. ...
It's never entirely clear if there any absolutes in dealing with the Trainwreck hardware story but there are definitely some very strong trends. I have seen the internals of one of the later Liverpools and it used the exact same Pacific transformer set as the Express. I also have a note from Pacific's Pat Thomas that declares they wound transformers to only one set of specifications for Trainwreck amps. Previous to using Pacific transformers there is less certainty about what was used in a Liverpool build. As Mr. Colossal said, use the 250-0-250 tap on the PT and expect great things.
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
Mark

Post by Mark »

How did this build work out?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
jferris5

Post by jferris5 »

This build is still in the works. However I decided to venture of the path of a standard Liverpool build. I'm trying an experiment I'm using a liverpool power section and another KF inspired preamp, the one with the split plate resistors. I'm hoping to have it done in a few weeks as time allows.