Gradual/fast switch

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Re: Gradual/fast switch

Post by Reeltarded »

That coil is the Faraday coil. :)

So, you are not wrong. In a guitar amp building situation, it is more likely the builder uses a coil because he has 600v wire laying around and small signal coax that might not have a very high voltage rating.. then there is skin effect and a bunch of paranoia, so you use a coil and the problem is solved.

In musical things, the first solution to a problem is usually the most common solution for several generations.

This information is related to my industrial choices hobby of understanding why a thing was changed without having notes from the people who changed the thing. The least (and most) obvious is why Gibson PAF transition has PAF in neck and Pat Number in bridge position. I had to think about that for about 10 years. lol alot of people think it is about tonal balance. Don't let these people decide which door is opened based on the scent of raw meat.

Lion
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Ledvedder5150

Post by Ledvedder5150 »

Does anyone have pictures or a layout of this switching being implemented without have to run the b+ through the switch?
Check out my band: https://www.facebook.com/ungluedband
dblgun

Post by dblgun »

Ledvedder5150

Post by Ledvedder5150 »

I tried this tonight. Man, that 100nF lets through way too much bass for me!
phils Komet.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ledvedder5150 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:10 am I tried this tonight. Man, that 100nF lets through way too much bass for me! phils Komet.gif
You can turn the bass down, but the point is it’s there if you want it. I imagine Strat and Tele players would love the extra bass and the amp is more of a pedal platform with this mod.

What guitar were you using with this circuit?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Ledvedder5150

Post by Ledvedder5150 »

Mark wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:45 am
Ledvedder5150 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:10 am I tried this tonight. Man, that 100nF lets through way too much bass for me! phils Komet.gif
You can turn the bass down, but the point is it’s there if you want it. I imagine Strat and Tele players would love the extra bass and the amp is more of a pedal platform with this mod.

What guitar were you using with this circuit?
A Suhr PT Signature. It was too much for me even on the parallel and single coil modes. I only put the bass on 2-3 max already. I'm going to try some lower value caps.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

I think the Concorde has a .0047uF/330K configuration, cuts the bass a tad. I also believe Pete Thorn has a Concorde and he had the bass cut even more. Try bringing that .1uF down until it's to your liking.
Ledvedder5150

Post by Ledvedder5150 »

Littlewyan wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:45 pm I think the Concorde has a .0047uF/330K configuration, cuts the bass a tad. I also believe Pete Thorn has a Concorde and he had the bass cut even more. Try bringing that .1uF down until it's to your liking.
Is the 4n7 and 330k in series?
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

It's the same as the Express configuration. Single resistor to ground after the .0047uF. The .0047uF goes from the anode of the previous stage directly to the grid of the following stage. The concorde does have more gain in the way of a hotter biased 3rd stage followed by a cathode follower as well., but that's not important in this instance. I was just pointing out that they decreased the bass slightly for the Concorde and that people have decreased it even further :). Anyway, it's your amp, tweak to your liking!
Ledvedder5150

Post by Ledvedder5150 »

Littlewyan wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:42 pm It's the same as the Express configuration. Single resistor to ground after the .0047uF. The .0047uF goes from the anode of the previous stage directly to the grid of the following stage. The concorde does have more gain in the way of a hotter biased 3rd stage followed by a cathode follower as well., but that's not important in this instance. I was just pointing out that they decreased the bass slightly for the Concorde and that people have decreased it even further :). Anyway, it's your amp, tweak to your liking!
This is on the fast/gradual switch? Right now I have a 68k to ground, instead of the 150k that's shown in this schematic.
phils Komet.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roe

Post by Roe »

Ledvedder5150 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:07 pm
Littlewyan wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:42 pm It's the same as the Express configuration. Single resistor to ground after the .0047uF. The .0047uF goes from the anode of the previous stage directly to the grid of the following stage. The concorde does have more gain in the way of a hotter biased 3rd stage followed by a cathode follower as well., but that's not important in this instance. I was just pointing out that they decreased the bass slightly for the Concorde and that people have decreased it even further :). Anyway, it's your amp, tweak to your liking!
This is on the fast/gradual switch? Right now I have a 68k to ground, instead of the 150k that's shown in this schematic. phils Komet.gif
isn't 68k used on liverpool amps, whereas expresses uses 150k with 2n2 (with 100k you need a 3n3 cap to get the same bass roll off)
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ledvedder5150 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:07 pm
This is on the fast/gradual switch? Right now I have a 68k to ground, instead of the 150k that's shown in this schematic. phils Komet.gif
What is your amp

Is it a Liverpool or an Express?

68K is way too small for an Express.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Ledvedder5150

Post by Ledvedder5150 »

It's a Liverpool.