Komet K60 or Concord Layout

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: Komet K60 or Concord Layout

Post by M Fowler »

There is no CF these are anode driven stages.
dbeasley

Post by dbeasley »

Sorry mark I was meaning the concorde.

For what it's worth, I quickly modded my K60 build over to concorde preamp spec with the cathode follower.

Oh yeah. Much better rock and roll amp for sure now. Lol. Loving it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

dbeasley wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:57 pm Sorry mark I was meaning the concorde.

For what it's worth, I quickly modded my K60 build over to concorde preamp spec with the cathode follower.

Oh yeah. Much better rock and roll amp for sure now. Lol. Loving it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
What would you say is the difference?

Marcus
deuce42

Post by deuce42 »

I'm sorry to hijack the thread, but can anyone verify whether the schematic I have for a the K50 is correct? I'm reluctant to post it on here without permission but maybe someone could look at a schematic if I send it?

By way of back story, I built an Asteroid K60 a few years ago but I've decided to change it to Concorde. I seem to have been sent a k50 schematic by someone a few years ago here but cant recall. I had undestood the K50/Concorde and K60 were almost identical except for the extra triode in the K50 and a different OT/SS Rectifier and 220uf filter cap, but the schematic I'm looking at seems to have a few other components changes and I'm wondering if I have the right one.

Could anyone help me?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Concorde K50 is diode rectified same PT on both; OT is 4K8 on Concorde; loose the 220k resistor after the .1uf cap on the fast/gradual switch; use the unused triode on V2 (V2a pin 6 plate to grid of V2b pin2, 100k cathode pin 3 to ground, pin 3 cathode follower which goes to the .022uf/220k to PI entrance.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

M Fowler wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:00 pm Concorde K50 is diode rectified same PT on both; OT is 4K8 on Concorde; loose the 220k resistor after the .1uf cap on the fast/gradual switch; use the unused triode on V2 (V2a pin 6 plate to grid of V2b pin2, 100k cathode pin 3 to ground, pin 3 cathode follower which goes to the .022uf/220k to PI entrance.
Mark, how does this change the sound/feel from an express? I'm quite curious as I liked the whole premise of the express but found it TOO much in practice, I was wondering if the Komet 60HD as it's known would be nearer the mark of me...sorry about the pun :D

Marcus
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The Komet amps are much more smooth and user friendly in my option. My Express builds were aggressive loud monsters but players still enjoyed them. I have used many different transformers in my Express builds. I cannot play an Express worth a damn. :D

I can use my Komets.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Thanks, that's kind of what i figured. I might have to make a Komet.

Marcus
deuce42

Post by deuce42 »

M Fowler wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:00 pm Concorde K50 is diode rectified same PT on both; OT is 4K8 on Concorde; loose the 220k resistor after the .1uf cap on the fast/gradual switch; use the unused triode on V2 (V2a pin 6 plate to grid of V2b pin2, 100k cathode pin 3 to ground, pin 3 cathode follower which goes to the .022uf/220k to PI entrance.
Hi M Fowler - you've been really helpful and I'm appreciative, but could I just trouble you for a little more info? Could I confirm the following at all if its not too much trouble?

1) whether the 1k resistor between the 80uf and 20uf filter caps remains as is or whether it now gets changed to a 22k in the K50? My schematic seems to show 22k
2) Are the blocking caps still .022 or are they .047uf? The schem I have sees to show them as .047uf.
3) Are the two resistors going to bias pot 2.2k as my schem seems to show 1.5k
4) Are the resistors coming from pin 5 of the power tubes 820ohm as my schem shows 1.5k here as well.
5) This might also sound wierd, but the schematics I have for both the K50 and K60 have two sets of filter caps in series on each side of the choke with 220k resistors, yet all the komet builds seem to only ever use one 80uf (or 220uf in the case of the K50) on either side of the choke. Why is there no need to use tow of them on each side? Is it just a volume capacity issue?

Thanks so much and my apologies for being a nuisance
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

deuce42 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:32 pm
Hi M Fowler - you've been really helpful and I'm appreciative, but could I just trouble you for a little more info? Could I confirm the following at all if its not too much trouble?

1) whether the 1k resistor between the 80uf and 20uf filter caps remains as is or whether it now gets changed to a 22k in the K50? My schematic seems to show 22k YES 22K
2) Are the blocking caps still .022 or are they .047uf? The schem I have sees to show them as .047uf. YES .047UF
3) Are the two resistors going to bias pot 2.2k as my schem seems to show 1.5k YOU MEAN 150K ON CONCORDE
4) Are the resistors coming from pin 5 of the power tubes 820ohm as my schem shows 1.5k here as well. 1K5 ON CONCORDE
5) This might also sound wierd, but the schematics I have for both the K50 and K60 have two sets of filter caps in series on each side of the choke with 220k resistors, yet all the komet builds seem to only ever use one 80uf (or 220uf in the case of the K50) on either side of the choke. Why is there no need to use tow of them on each side? Is it just a volume capacity issue? UNDER THE CAP BOARD IS SAME ON TOP SO YOUR ONLY SEEING THE TOP OF THE CAP BOARD

Thanks so much and my apologies for being a nuisance
deuce42

Post by deuce42 »

You are awesome Sir !!!!! Thanks so much:)
andresound

Post by andresound »

M Fowler wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:12 pm The Komet amps are much more smooth and user friendly in my option. My Express builds were aggressive loud monsters but players still enjoyed them. I have used many different transformers in my Express builds. I cannot play an Express worth a damn. :D

I can use my Komets.
This is a very interesting comment and I believe Mark. I have been playing my express for about a 1.5 years now and love it. It is my main amp, and I REFUSE to give up 😅. However, I do not use pedals and I am STILL learning to “hide” my sloppy playing with this beast!! When I am on form... the amp is great to play, but when not on form.... fuck me... I battle!! 😂. I do think the express has made me a better player, but I think it is time to build a Komet!!! Mark please can you PM me a schematic 🙏
If it sounds good, it is good! Trust your ears
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Andre, you can't go by my playing regarding the Express because my hands are arthritic but before that I tried like crazy to tame an Express and failed but I heard a few guys play my Express and they sounded great.

The Komet 60 still quite a beast, has an easier play-ability for me and sounded smoother not so aggressive. It is still a loud amp though.

One must have both amps in their arsenal though just because. Maybe all three amps Express, Concorde (K50) and Komet 60/Asteroid.

Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

That's a lot of amps Mark, wouldn't having all three amps be shades of the same colour?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

We can't get the same results building three identical amps so having all three would be nice, I have a K60 left, an Express and all the components with Larry Mann (Distortions) head cab to build the K50 Concorde.

Mark