Newbie...need help with some 101 stuff

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

fevzay

Newbie...need help with some 101 stuff

Post by fevzay »

Hi all,

Newbie here. Have some experience with working on amps. I understand basic concepts and stages in amplifiers. I recently completed a basic AA864 channel Bassman from the ground up. I learned a lot.

What I don't know is what I want next. I think most of my confusion can be cleared up with referencing what I want sound-wise rather than by design.

I love good Top Boosted AC30's. I'm going to build some variation. Just not sure what. I've been comparing schematics of the Hoffman AC30, Dr. Z Z-Wreck, and the TW Rocket. Seems the circuits are near identical. Where they differ appears mostly in the power section and the B+ filtering.

Here's the question...which do I build. I want semi-early to normal breakup. I've heard the Z-wreck has higher headroom than an AC30. Shall I exclude it? What about compared to the Rocket?

Other main questions are about transformers. Do these amps differ in the areas mentioned primarily due to transformer differences? How will I know which ones to buy? Even the chokes vary considerably.

Any thoughts are welcome!
joeboo88

Re: Newbie...need help with some 101 stuff

Post by joeboo88 »

Hey fevzay. You could also look into YouTube and see the 3 amps you are describing to find what suits your ear

I tend to listent to the guys that’s just turn on the amp and play. What I mean is no sound tracks in the background etc..
How I learned/learning is to read this section. When I wanted to build the rocket, I just picked a bunch of threads about the rocket builds, etc. I have found in this section there are more threads about the rocket than the other trainwreck Ccts
This must be for a reason.
These guys here are really helpful.
I read a post about the differences between the zwreck and the rocket...can’t remember where it is but you can search.
I just built a Rocket last month, and it is reallly nice. It’s loud and can’t get really mean sounding, and takes pedals well.
I guess I should post my build.... well anyways good luck
Joe
Mark

Post by Mark »

It’s loud and can’t get really mean sounding, and takes pedals well.
So the distorted tones are rubbish?

I built a Rocket a couple of years ago too, I have only used it clean so I can't say too much about its distorted tones. The amp is particular about overdrive pedals, if the pedal sounds buzzy it sounds buzzy through the amp.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
fevzay

Post by fevzay »

Am I overthinking it? I'm curious mostly of transformer differences.

Sure, a PT just needs to have the correct voltage and "work," but there a lots of OT's and chokes used with vastly different values. Can anyone list which transformers are "correct" for each model.

Vintage AC30
- OT?
- Choke?

Z-Weeck
- OT
- Choke

Rocket
- OT
- Choke
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The trouble is Ken Fischer of Trainwreck Amplifiers took a lot of consideration in his transformer choice or had custom ones built.

Mike Zaite of Dr Z Amps also talks about how he has custom transformers made for his various offerings.

So we either try to copy what they are doing or we go the economical route by using what is available from junk electronic hunting, Hammond, Edcor, Pacific, Heyboer, Mercury Magnetics, Magnetic Components, and etc.

My choice is go with what I can find and try enjoy the build not fuss over it, unless your anal then by all means knock ones self out. :D

Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

For building a Rocket you are looking for a rail of 290 to 300 volts. The other hassle with having such a low rail voltage is the volume pot of your guitar sounding scratchy because of low DC. on the plate of the first stage.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Hmm Mark I've never had that problem with any Rocket I've built.

They are a nice nice to gig with but they aren't large volume amp like a Dr Z Stangray.

Rockets are generally built with 250-0-250 PT and 4K OT.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Mark, I initially didn't get it but I was using a Fender guitar, once I plugged in the Gibson with 500K pots the scratching noise was apparent.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
fevzay

Post by fevzay »

Thanks for your guys thoughts so far.

I'm a ways off from ordering anything yet, but I have decided to order vintage AC30 Hammond transformers and choke. If nothing else, I'll build an awesome AC30. Win-win.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I've seen reports back on guys building with those AC30 transformer sets and they had great results.

The only thing different is the choke value on the AC30.

Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hammond transformers do get a good rap, but there are a lot of good transformers out there. The Mercury Woden output transformer gets a good rap as does the Magnetic components power transformer.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott