k60 project finished

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

lumox0013

k60 project finished

Post by lumox0013 »

I dont post much so I thought I would put up one of the projects I finished this year . I wanted to try to simplify the k60 so I thought I would build a couple and see how it went heres what I came up with three variants all without nfb and cathode bias . they all sounded pretty good but very different. the second was my favorite it had a 300-0-300 power and a 6k output and a larmar master very sweet sounding amp. cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live , Love , Learn
M Fowler

Re: k60 project finished

Post by M Fowler »

I like your three variations good work. Glad you left off the fast/gradual switching.

Mark
lumox0013

Post by lumox0013 »

thanxx mark , I tried the switch on a couple others I built and had no use for the fast mode even on gradual these amps are loud and proud, but Im a rocket guy so....ha ha I have to say though that I liked the grind on these amps better than any marshall Ive ever played .I've started another one still figuring out what I want to accomplish with it so its stalled on the project shelf. chris
Live , Love , Learn
mojotom

Post by mojotom »

6V6 power amps ?

Look nice !

You should try a Concorde CF maybe on one of your build.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Glad you left off the fast/gradual switching.
Is there a down side to the fast/gradual switch?

I thought it made the amp a two trick pony. :wink:
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

To me the K60 is either low volume/lifeless verses higher volume/articulate using the fast/gradual switch.

Mark
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Very nice.... I'm a bit jealous. 😉
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
lumox0013

Post by lumox0013 »

I was of the opposite opinion on the fast mode,to much gain for me though i will build one with the concord mods some day these high gain amps are not really my thing though , right now Im working on a rubywreck style amp with the parallel front end running kt88s at the higher voltage from the k60 hoping for a more balanced responce with more headroom than the rocket clone Ive been playing through for a long while. thanks for the comments fellas ,,off to wire me another amp cheers

oh yeah the amps were 6v6 , el34 and 5881 in the order pictured #3 was the most harmonic and rich sounding but no master so you had to crank it a bit to get the goods
Live , Love , Learn
lumox0013

Post by lumox0013 »

Hi fellas thought i should add to this old post I completed a K50 style amp recently it has a different flavor for sure , im still playing with the gain but i like the sound I think a little better than the K60 i kept the tube recto and so the initial filtering is not so high but the gain and compression seem right on par with the original sound samples ive heard . cheers
oh yeah this one running el34s 330-0-330 5k load
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live , Love , Learn
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Very nice build!
Roe

Post by Roe »

I hardly ever use the slow mode. I've even removed the 100k resistor prior to the phase inverter. Still, the k50 is a little too much for me
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
lumox0013

Post by lumox0013 »

I had her cranked today and was blown away by this amp i was able to pull off some great metal sounds (Tool , AIC ) no gate needed dead quiet then switched over to my tele and dropped it down a notch totally different beast blues with sustain for days .I was rolling alot of tubes through it in the end I had it setup with a 5751 #1`,12ax7 #2 and a 12av7 in the pi, mesa str el34s and a 5v4 recto . im ok with the slow mode theres so much gain in this amp i dropped the pi to a gain factor 40 tube just to tame it and make the preamp usable, with all 12ax7s in it the amp saturated on 2 and 2 -10 was mostly compresion adjustment, to be fair i almost always drop the pi to a 12at7 and im not a marshall guy ive been playing a rocket for the last decade.
thanxx colossal considering the company we keep on here my amps are pretty average but this one made me smile from ear to ear today and i couldnt put the guitar down for a couple of hours
Live , Love , Learn
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

lumox0013 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:21 am I had her cranked today and was blown away by this amp i was able to pull off some great metal sounds (Tool , AIC ) no gate needed dead quiet.
Bitchin'. What OT did you use? You said 5k primary...
lumox0013

Post by lumox0013 »

most of my builds are beaks and feet this amp was odd ball trannys from the 60s the ot was out of a old stereo amp running 6aq5s but being cathode bias I figured it would work it mesured out at 5k to 8 ohms with the volotage/turns ratio method, hammond power tranny and the choke was 5.6H - 295 ohms . im sure the old alnico speakers play a role as well. cheers
Live , Love , Learn
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Nice!! Love all the old glass.
lummox wrote:most of my builds are beaks and feet this amp was odd ball trannys from the 60s the ot was out of a old stereo
You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...
DXeXwrR.png