New Rocket Build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Oswald1958

New Rocket Build

Post by Oswald1958 »

IMG_0043.JPG
New Rocket build with VVR integrated into the filter cap board.
Biggest challenge will be mounting power transformer then re-installing VVR/Filter cap board. I can do it!
I am not SURE about the placement of VVR in relation to choke. My plan is to place the choke in line with B+ out of the VVR (thus voltage controlled by VVR).
Then it's just getting the transformers.

PEC pots could not be soldered on. I had to take the backs off, drill holes, insert 2-56 machine screws, 2-56 nuts on outside and wire to the posts. Pain in the ass.

I'm hoping this amp takes pedals better than an Express and no biasing is a plus.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dorrisant

Re: New Rocket Build

Post by dorrisant »

Looks very nice! Don't worry, Rockets love pedals.

You might not want to place the VVR in front of the choke...As you have proposed, you will be dropping the screen node and that will not be good. If you place the VVR after the choke your power tubes will be stable.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Oswald1958

Post by Oswald1958 »

Thanks Dorrisant!

Here's the layout I was going to use.
Rocket Layout.jpg
Where am I going wrong?

Should the standby switch out go to B1+ and choke separately?

I found this layout showing the VVR before the standby switch. Seems like the same circuit.
LayoutH1d-4VVR-Build.jpg
Any help (from anybody) would be appreciated!!

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Looks fine to me. The VVR should be supplied from the first filter, then its output goes to the power tube plates and the choke input via the standby switch.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Great looking amp! I have built several of the Trainwreck amps and the Rocket is my favorite! I had a VVR in my rocket and I ended up always setting it to the OEM spec voltage that Ken designed them for and used an attenuator to drop volume. It was great having the variable option to dial in the voltage to the OEM value and once I found that value I created a Mosfet B+ reducer described here:
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... lit=center ,
to drop my voltages a specific amount (40 volts) and then I removed the knob from the front panel.

Anyway you do it I am sure it will be a great sounding amp! Love how those Rockets can crank out that British Rock and Roll sound from so many years ago!
Cheers
Guy
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

martin manning wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:46 pm Looks fine to me. The VVR should be supplied from the first filter, then its output goes to the power tube plates and the choke input via the standby switch.
that's how I have mine wired. To be honest since fitting it I've not really used it, I keep it on max and use my guitar volume a lot more.

M
Oswald1958

Post by Oswald1958 »

Rocket is pretty much done. Sounds great. No hum...no fuss..VVR works. NOS GE 12AX7 tubes in first 2 stages. NOS Reflektor Russian EL84's. NOS GE rectifier tube. RJ provided the Transformers. Much tamer than an Express.

I eventually wired the VVR out to the standby switch. The standby then goes out to the Choke and O.T. center tap.

IMG_0052.JPG
Last edited by Oswald1958 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

Nice Job Oswald!
RJ is the BOSS... I have almost the same stuff in my Rocket, which all the parts came from RJ too.