Climax??

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

lpd

Climax??

Post by lpd »

Hi
I know this isn’t a Ken Fischer TW amp and has only elements of his amplifier design. Nonetheless I have a couple questions as I can purchase one locally for a very reasonable price and am curious about; the circuit design and the improvements Ken suggested via letter to first wave of purchasers.

Anyone here know what circuit changes Ken recommended to bring these up to his standards...if at all possible?

This one in particular has been worked on and “apparently” sounds good and of course will need to be tested to confirm. I have heard mixed reviews on these amps, some based on circuit design and differences of design plans, contract issues, personal reasons and of course online philosophers ;) I’m only interested in circuit design and whether it’s worth looking into or a waste of time :)
M Fowler

Re: Climax??

Post by M Fowler »

No I don't know what Ken F. discussed with Kendrick regarding this at all.
new_joyzee_schematic_153.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lpd

Post by lpd »

M Fowler wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:13 am No I don't know what Ken F. discussed with Kendrick regarding this at all.new_joyzee_schematic_153.pdf
Hey thanks. I will compare the two. I think my Amp is modified with fixed bias and a London power scale? May want to resurrect back to original specs and upgrade a few components based on a rebuild thread I found on ampgarage.
lpd

Post by lpd »

M Fowler wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:13 am No I don't know what Ken F. discussed with Kendrick regarding this at all.new_joyzee_schematic_153.pdf
Ping Mark. Any idea how I could thicken the clean channel? It’s a little bright even tube swapping and I’m assuming inherent to the circuit. The high notes are a little thin imho :)
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The high cut would better with .0047uf or .0022uf instead of a 500pf as noted on schematic, more bass response.

The 100pf caps on the volume controls would be better to be on switch or remove.
lpd

Post by lpd »

M Fowler wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:36 pm The high cut would better with .0047uf or .0022uf instead of a 500pf as noted on schematic, more bass response.

The 100pf caps on the volume controls would be better to be on switch or remove.
Thanks for the help. Removed the 100pf on the volume pot and the clean channel became absolutely wonderful sounding. Lead channel may need some tweaking to get there :)
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Great, yeah the lead channel on the schematic seems less capable of higher gain bliss then the clean channel.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

That cut control cap should be .0047uf which would allow more low end.