Heavy strings, hard attack = Bad Express Tone

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rooster

Heavy strings, hard attack = Bad Express Tone

Post by rooster »

I just wanted to bring this up because for some reason this point has been driven home quite often lately. If you pick hard - like your playing an acoustic guitar 'hard' - and you use a gauge of strings bigger than a .009 - .042 - then you are not going to get an Express circuit. You will not find the experience enjoyable and you will not 'get' the Express. You need a disciplined pick attack and some finesse. The Express is a sensitive amp, not a BF Fender or a Marshall Plexi.

There, I said it. :D
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
M Fowler

Re: Heavy strings, hard attack = Bad Express Tone

Post by M Fowler »

I build them but I can't stand my playing through an Express.

Yup my string attack is hard so I enjoy a Marshall high gain amp or the Hot Rod Tweed "Bluesmaster" circuit 50w.

Mark
Roe

Post by Roe »

I prefer light strings and a softer magnet. Try the throbak magnets, e.g. unoriented alnico 5
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
2tone

Post by 2tone »

Yep.. Express tells you how it wants to be played..It does teach you about dynamics, more accurate picking etc.. You can't resist an Express, only join and comply!!!
Mark

Post by Mark »

I think strings do have a sweet spot on how hard you can strike them. 10-46 and 10-52 sound fatter and it's likely that you'll play them harder. I'm sure you can strum them softer too.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott