Trainwreck Express videos

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

geetarpicker

Trainwreck Express videos

Post by geetarpicker »

I put these 4 TRAINWRECK videos together last night. Not many audio clips around and probably no vids until now, at least on the web. So, hope you don't mind me sharing.

Found out my camcorder's mic doesn't handle high volumes very well, as the camera adds a little extra dirt. Oh well.

Amp volume was on 1:00 to 3:00, treble 12:00 to 1:00, mid 12:00, bass 11:00-12:00, presence 9:00-12:00, all depending on the clip. Bright switch on full bright on all clips. This is an '89 Express w/black (pacific?) transformers. Telefunken 12ax7s, new Groove tubes EL34s.

They are VERY big files, so you might be best to download them first then play from your hard drive. They play on my Windows XP machine using the stock windows media player that came with the Windows XP.

Cheers,
Geetarpicker

http://www.starlaser.com/trainwreck/tra ... strat1.mpg

http://www.starlaser.com/trainwreck/tra ... strat2.mpg

http://www.starlaser.com/trainwreck/trainwreck-lp1.mpg

http://www.starlaser.com/trainwreck/trainwreck-lp2.mpg

CLIPS SHOULD BE FIXED NOW! SORRY!
Last edited by geetarpicker on Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Re: Trainwreck Express videos

Post by HeeBGB »

Hey GP,

Great clips! Love that real 59 LP BTW....NICE!!

You are a lucky man!
HiGain

Post by HiGain »

Thank you!

Only the strat files are not working for me. Did it work for others?

Jake
UR12

Post by UR12 »

HiGain wrote:Thank you!

Only the strat files are not working for me. Did it work for others?

Jake
Try this for the strat

http://www.starlaser.com/trainwreck/tra ... strat1.mpg
http://www.starlaser.com/trainwreck/tra ... strat2.mpg
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

doctord02

Post by doctord02 »

the path to the strat files is fubar. copy and paste into your browser, then edit them to read correctly... Just compare them to the lp clips and you'll immediately see whats wrong.

these are smoking clips. A big thank-you to Glen (geetarpicker)!

edit - DOH! beat me to it.
PeteRH

Post by PeteRH »

Well the clips did not play on my XP Media player....seems my computer was missing some codecs. Well the 1/2 hr of frustration (...my computer skills are about on par with my guitar playing) was soon forgotten and replaced by 1/2 hr of elation!!! Yes those clips got played a few times.
Many many thanks for taking the time to produce these.
Cheers
Pete
ps. What is the lowdown on the Strat (year, pickups etc)?
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

Sorry folks about the errors in the clip links. They are fixed now.

Seems some forum software abbreviates things so that if you cut and paste your links can then loose a few detail. Periods .... instead of the original characters. Computers...

Hope you folks dig the clips. This was my first effort in making web clips, so pardon my computer skills I'm learning.

PeteRH,

The strat is a hand made 50's style guitar made by "Callaham Guitars". It was one of his first 5-10 or so Strats he made. It is a '92 model, with Fralin single coils, and a swamp ash body. Very light weight. Great guitars, almost impossible to get due to the LONG waiting list. I got mine on the spot at a guitar show that Callaham attended right when he was just starting to build them.
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

HI Glen,
Thanks very much for the clips!!!!! That rig with eaither guitar sounded great!!!!! :D

What year cab is that Marshall?.......late 60's?.....30 or 25 watters???
Again thank-you for the clips!!!!!
Chris G
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

The cab is about a '68 slant. Metal handles, small logo (repro though), basket weave, ply back. Got the cab with another (straight) back in '90 for $450/pr. Original speakers were long gone in the slant, but I found perfect set of '71 Rola Greenback 25s with 003 - 75hz cones. I recently had another basketweave slant with 014 G12H 30 watt prerolas from '69. They were WAY too bright for my Wreck IMHO, and I sold the cab. My '68 with the 25s in the clip is a keeper.
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

geetarpicker wrote:The cab is about a '68 slant. Metal handles, small logo (repro though), basket weave, ply back. Got the cab with another (straight) back in '90 for $450/pr. Original speakers were long gone in the slant, but I found perfect set of '71 Rola Greenback 25s with 003 - 75hz cones. I recently had another basketweave slant with 014 G12H 30 watt prerolas from '69. They were WAY too bright for my Wreck IMHO, and I sold the cab. My '68 with the 25s in the clip is a keeper.
Thanks for the info Glen! I've had a 71' marshall slant cab w/ the same speakers as yours for about 6 monthes now and it realy seems to work well with that circut. How much of an effect if any
do you feel the ply back has on the tone?I belive mine is partical board.
thanks
Chris
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

It's been 15 years since I really got into comparing the difference in tone in the cab backs. Don't even remember my findings. I do know that my particular slant sounded better than an identical era BW straight I had at the same time. And I even tried moving the same speakers into the straight. Then I tried them in a stripped bare wood early 70s straight with plastic handles. No go. Put the 25s back in the slant. For some reason, my set of 25s have better low end and overall tone in this particular BW slant cab. Maybe it's a tuning thing. The wood?

Recently I found a great sounding straight cab of the same era. It is a hodge podge internally. One prerola G12H 30 watter, and x3 25 watters a green, a grey, and a black. Sounds killer though, very similar to the slant in my clips. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

My feeling is that some of the old boxes sound different, just because of the wood. I have a friend with 6 basketweave cabs (3 slants, 3 straights), and he feels the same way. You got to find the right speakers and the right boxes that work together. Interestingly, my friend is also of the feeling that his best cabs are a couple of his slants. That is quite opposing to the common view that the straights sound better.
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

Dear PeteRH,

Any idea what the particular "codec" was that got your system to play the clips?

I might post the info for some others that also had some difficulty.

Does play in my Windows XP machine with box stock windows media player.
PeteRH

Post by PeteRH »

Hi Glen,
I was missing the Dolby AC3 codecs. I downloaded the AC-3 ACM Decompressor zip file from
http://www.free-codecs.com/AC-3_ACM_Dec ... wnload.htm

Unzip the file to a directory. Right mouse click on the AC3ACM.inf file and click install.

It worked for me.....Hopefully it will work for the others.

Thanks for the update on the Callaham. They get rave reviews and sounds like it is for good reason.

Cheers
PeteRH
Omar

Post by Omar »

geetarpicker
Awesome stuff! Thanks so much for posting the files. It's nice to have real Trainwreck clips that show what the amp is all about. Your playing and the amp really sound awesome. Those clips are inspiring me to start building my Franscesa clone.

Btw, can you let us know you're home address? The guys from the board and I would like to stop by when you're not home to "borrow" the Trainwreck, Callaham, and of course the Les Paul. Could you also leave your playing skills - I could really use them as well! :D

Just kidding!

Omar
Tone by misadventure