Cornell Dubilier vs. SoZo Silver Mica Comparison Clips

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Winder

Cornell Dubilier vs. SoZo Silver Mica Comparison Clips

Post by Winder »

In thread discussing the SoZo Silver Mica caps, Mark suggested an A/B comparison. Here's an attempted "A/B" of sorts between a 500pF CDE/CDM Silver Mica Treble tone cap and a 500pF/1000V SoZo Silver Mica Treble tone cap. These were not recorded with the exact/identicle setup as the mics had moved and I didn't take notes on the clean setting on the guitar. Tried to get the mics close, though it sounds like they may have been just a touch further from the grill for the SoZos. The CDEs were recorded two or three weeks ago and the SoZo's today. That said, it may provide some insight.

Les Paul into TW Express and a circa 1980 Marshall slant with original G12-65 speakers. All knobs on the Express at 12:00 ... volume maybe just a hair past 12:00. Bright switch to 500pF. Dry - No effects.

The mic levels are the same for the clean and distorted tones, so the clean could have a bit more pop/punch if I increased the pre input. I'm no sound engineer for sure. For the cleans it's the neck pickup with the volume in the 3 to 5 range and the tone about the same. For the distorted tones, just flip to the bridge with the volume backed off a tad (just about 9.6) and the tone full open.

After doing this, I'm not sure I don't like the original a little better ... but, I think the articulation with the SoZo is there and it might just be a tweak of the treble knob or slightly longer cord to bring it in line.

Wreck Clean 500V/500pF CDE/CDM Treble Tone Cap
Wreck Clean 1000V/500pF SoZo Treble Tone Cap
Wreck Dirty 500V/500pF CDE/CDM Treble Tone Cap
Wreck Dirty 1000V/500pF SoZo Treble Tone Cap
RockinRocket

Re: Cornell Dubilier vs. SoZo Silver Mica Comparison Clips

Post by RockinRocket »

:mrgreen: Cool thanks for the demo and taking the time from are busy lives to do this.

I head a difference and is what I would expect from a higher voltage rated cap. Cleaner and clearer.

Would have been nice if the clips were the same, especially a recorded track into the front end for both to capture the same nuances in the hand.

Cleans sounded cleaner I thought and sounded nicer. However I liked the grittiness of the 500v cap better on the dirty.
Winder

Post by Winder »

Thanks. Difference is subtle, I think. So you feel it's more the rating ... and I assume thereby the build/dimensions of the cap that make the difference? Was thinking it must have some impact.
Roe

Post by Roe »

Thanks for the clips. I still got your pickups in my SG
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Winder

Post by Winder »

You're welcome, Roe. Glad to hear the pickups are still in place. :D
Roe

Post by Roe »

yes, they sound real good.
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yes, thanks for taking time to make the audio clips, I appreciate that.

The Mallory cap sounded brighter to me, the SoZo cap was less bright and sounded quite nice. The more I listen to the recordings the more I think the tones are subjective.

It makes me wonder what the SoZo 500pF cap would sound like is a Rocket as it can be quite bright sounding.

I wonder if Ken would have used these mica caps if we're alive today?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Winder

Post by Winder »

The 500pF SoZo are HUGE. I bought more CDE caps last week, this time focusing on the larger size (CD19) and non-ROHS compliant since I don't think ROHS was a thing back then. I'm wondering if size does make a difference (badump bump). The CDE/CD19 500pF is substantially bigger than the CD18, but not as big as the SoZo. The CD19 seems to resemble those in the Francesca and other pictures. I can't believe I'm actually getting this far into the weeds, but it's become sort of an obsession trying to squeeze the last bit of blood out of the rock.

I do agree though that it's subjective. I like a fair amount of top end and cut ... not harsh (to my ears at least), but I want some edge on the wound strings and the Express delivers. Others might call it "ice picky" or too bright/harsh. Difficult to truly question what others hear as good or bad.
Mark

Post by Mark »

That is all good work, I think you find yourself looking at the little things once all the big stuff has been done.

I'll have to check the 500pF cap in my Rocket clone.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Ang3lus

Post by Ang3lus »

i really hoped the sozos woulden't sound better to me, but they do :(

what positions are they most recommended for ? bright cap and tone stack ?
Mark

Post by Mark »

I'd imagine the tone stack and across the 470K resistor.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

Winder wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:59 pm The CDE/CD19 500pF is substantially bigger than the CD18, but not as big as the SoZo. The CD19 seems to resemble those in the Francesca and other pictures.
What color CD19 did you get? :lol: you think you got it bad!
Yellow, black, maroon?
Winder

Post by Winder »

RockinRocket wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:01 pm
Winder wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:59 pm The CDE/CD19 500pF is substantially bigger than the CD18, but not as big as the SoZo. The CD19 seems to resemble those in the Francesca and other pictures.
What color CD19 did you get? :lol: you think you got it bad!
Yellow, black, maroon?
Maroon ... and yes, I do wonder if there's a difference. :oops: :D

BTW, that was CD15 (not CD18). I have the CD19 in the tone stack right now. I'd say closer to the SoZo than the CD15. Maybe size is a factor?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Has anyone tried the silver mica cap with the higher voltage rating versus the SoZo cap?

I haven't seen the higher voltage SilverMica caps for sale, does anyone have a link to them?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott