Transformer ID?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

lpd

Transformer ID?

Post by lpd »

Hi guys... any ideas who made these transformers?

joeboo88

Re: Transformer ID?

Post by joeboo88 »

Hi Lpd: I did a search because I thought I saw the #'s before, they look like Heyboer?

anyways those numbers are in this thread

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62

hope this helps, Joe
lpd

Post by lpd »

Ah yes it does. I will have to look under the hood to see if it’s a 5.2/6.6 or just a single and idea how to tell?
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

the one in the picture says 5.2k Primary on the stamp
lpd

Post by lpd »

In the thread above one of the OPs reports that the 5.2k actually measures at a 6.6k and there are numerous versions of Heyboer transformers :)
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Jackie Treehorn »

I think the model number of the Heyboer OT is HTS-5200 and it’s an odd coincidence that 5.2k is an impedance people use. I ordered some custom Heyboers awhile ago and they got sequential hts-xxxx model numbers unrelated to impedance. Like the pt is hts5199 and the it is hts5200 for the wreck. The HTS5200 transformer I bought from Jenkins sound shop way back in 2003 or so, measured 6.6k, but it’s label did not include an additional primary impedance stated on it like the one pictured. I would guess that transformer was ordered custom with the 5.2k impedance rather than the usual 6.6k.
lpd

Post by lpd »

Thanks. Bought this amp for a very good price. Apparently is stable bottom to top, may have to remove the master volume :). Quality components I have some Mallory and OD 6PS caps if I’m not into the sozos.

Mark

Post by Mark »

The amp does appear quite unique,I seem to recall that the early clone amps were built with Heyboer transformers as someone found out Heyboer made a set of transformers for Ken Fischer at one stage. I thought the 5.2K primary was suppose to sound more aggressive than the 6.6K primary.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
lpd

Post by lpd »

Dress lead isn’t the neatest and the grounding seems slightly different than the standard...appears to be an older clone. Will post my thoughts on performance once she lands :)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Sounds good.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
lpd

Post by lpd »

Mark wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:51 pmSounds good.
Ok so she landed and sounds really good. The master can provide low volume options that are more like a Marshall type tone with a little more bite and clarity. Master removed from the circuit (wide open) it doesn’t osc or any parasitic noise. Swells up nicely and plenty of gain on tap. At about 3:00 on just compresses. Cleans up well and not as bright as any of the other clones I’ve owned. Still bright but not intolerable :). Also has a cut knob on the back. I use wide open but offers the flexibility to darken for jazz type tones. Will try and get some clips when I can find a place to open up wide and record as she’s loud as *{*{^}^{!!!!!!
Mark

Post by Mark »

The master volume control looks like an expensive pot.

http://valvestorm.com/Products/Componen ... /Amplifier
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Mark, those PEC pots are very well built.
lpd

Post by lpd »

Not sure if they are PEC or Clarostat pots hard to see from blurry pic. Pretty sure the master is a PEC but the tone stack looks to be clarostats to me (indents give em away). Will have to open her up and take some pics. :)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Agreed the other pots look like Clarostat pots. It looks like top materials were used in the construction of this amp.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott