1992 Liverpool Guts

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

2tone

Re: 1992 Liverpool Guts

Post by 2tone »

the amp was checked and verified as an original TW. Around 92 was the last real year for production amps, not many more after that. JM said Ken may have used some different faceplates he had, with the different woodburning.. Also, this may have been one of the chassis that ken had wired by a friend..Not likely a Funk build...
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

2 tone who verified this as a original Wreck?

On another topic who other than Funk did ken have wire him a chassis?
Thats a whole nother subject that Im not sure I believe
2tone

Post by 2tone »

I talked to JM, and he has records etc of all TW's made. He talked to Gene at Ultrasound also, who knows a lot of the history. There was one or 2 guys that did some wiring at Ken's, on a small number of amps. Ken was fussy about wiring and workmanship. This chassis may have had some different wire colors etc, and the faceplate was likely one that Ken had there.
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

2 tone thanks for the info.

I will say I'm not sure I believe Dave funk claiming to have built amps for Ken especially as he decided to make that public after he passed. And of course JM having the correct magic to build a Wreck. From what I've read from Kens friends on this site no ones heard any thing of the like spoken from Ken AFAIK.

These fellows should have brought that to the grave and certainly not currently be building Wrecks. Even if these story's are true they don't seem like honorable people and certainly not good friends. I take there words with a gain of salt.
2tone

Post by 2tone »

I used to talk with Ken weekly from 1989 till he passed. He definitely told me that Funk built a few. One was a Rocket, I believe a trem Rocket, maybe a regular Rocket and an Express or Liverpool. Maybe 3 or 4 amps total. I think Ken accepted one or two..The othere didn't meet his criteria. Ken spoke of JM frequently, as a great player with good ears, Ken used him, as well as others to test amps on. JM has electronics training and does super soldering work like Ken..His builds sound great.
2tone

Post by 2tone »

Ken had no problem with other people building their own Trainwreck models, and would have been pleased to see all the interest, mods and versions. What he didn't like was people cloning them for sale...
Mark

Post by Mark »

The resistors look like Takman REX resistors to me. They are good resistors, but I don't know if they were available in 92. Every TW amp I have seen has the garden variety carbon film resistors.

http://www.acoustic-dimension.com/resis ... istors.htm

https://hfc-fs.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.c ... _pdf_1.pdf
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

2tone wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:26 pm Ken had no problem with other people building their own Trainwreck models, and would have been pleased to see all the interest, mods and versions. What he didn't like was people cloning them for sale...
Hmm.. so Ken asked Stephen to patrol for trademarks (Ebay ect) and such because Ken was to sick then and didn't even have internet to do so. He leaves them Trainwreck after his passing so they can continue patrolling for Trademarks but the Fisher family decides to build them instead :shock: Nice.

Now your telling me Ken personally said more or less you don't have to be me to build a real Trainwreck. Interesting.
2tone

Post by 2tone »

Ken would help some people build their own TW style amp. One person even got transformers etc from him. I don't know if they were the current trannies or not. He had no problem with hobby builders, and he knew that each build would be different and likely not the same quality or sound as his builds,but if someone wired a board or amp for him, it would have to pass his approval before being accepted and sold.He was actually very generous with his time and info..He didn't like people labeling them as Trainwrecks, or selling them as a Trainwreck build...
dblgun

Post by dblgun »

Not having seen gut shots of any other Liverpools I am curious about the bias resistor/capacitor layout on this amp. The construction of these components seems different that what is often seen in clones. Did the original Liverpools have the bias capacitors and resistors laid out in this fashion?