1992 Liverpool Guts

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RockinRocket

1992 Liverpool Guts

Post by RockinRocket »

The Harrisons just uploaded guts of the amp they have for sale. These guys are the famous Harrisons who faked lots and lots of old Marshalls.. Some how still in business.

Whats up with the pink resistors? Switches replaced too.
First Fischer amp Ive seen with Black shielded wire off the inputs.

https://reverb.com/item/13880759-trainw ... rpool-1992
MeanMrMustard

Re: 1992 Liverpool Guts

Post by MeanMrMustard »

I don’t know about this one. Seems mostly legit but there are questions, questions that need answering. I must see the head of my order. He is both wise, and powerful. He’ll know what to do.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

there are questions, questions that need answering. I must see the head of my order. He is both wise, and powerful. He’ll know what to do.
Smoke rises from the mountain of Doom. The hour grows late and Gandalf the Grey rides to Isengard seeking my counsel. For that is why you have come, is it not… my old friend?
arjepsen

Post by arjepsen »

pwecious???
jbrew73

Post by jbrew73 »

:roll:
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

Anyone know anything about this amp? Its previous owner??

Is it real????
I have hand full of questions about this amp..

This is a big red flag for me and using Ingrid (also form 92) for example.
The transformers look modern.

-All old Pacific's that I've seen in Wrecks have split lock washers on the bell bolts. Newer Pacific's have star washers.
-The power transformer end bells in Ingrid don't wrap around the core. Are these modern but aged with rust??

-Chassis looks to be correct a Bud brand. Flange inside looks right shape but the folds at the corner cut out looks off/sloppy to me.
-Green signal wire looks way off in color from other examples as does all signal wire looks a bit off.
-Input jack has a flat washer beneath nut. First I've seen.
-Input jack has Black shielded wire. Other examples are Gray
-Resistors are Pink
-Pre amp Bypass caps are Nichicon. Originals are Rubycon
-Switches are new Carling
-Pyrography. Its oddly legible from a distance. Most examples had a light touch of wood burning Imagery.
-Face plate crooked.

Things that look right.
Board material is the same as Ingrid and alsofrom 92. Impedance selector. Spuage Atom orange TVA 40uf and CDE 20ufs.

However I have original sheets of this same stuff, Lorlin selectors and Electrolytics and 2 Bud chassis.
So they are out there.

This is the Harrisons fellas.Really the only reason I question the authenticity of this amp. They just sold "reject" or "undocumented express" known here by some. They have been inside a real one and this is Music Ground. Give that a google. Their fakes were so good they made it into published books.

I know Glen has a Liverpool with this type board material.. maybe he can chime in with his opinion.
I'm skeptical :lol:
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

What is different?

The wiring for the standby switch. In original liverpool pics the first node of filtering is powered and then goes to the standby switch.
In the Harrison ad: Right after the diode rectifiers the B+ is going to the standby switch.

No damping with tape foam, which I think is critical in this circuit.

Heater wiring is off, in Liverpool pics it's consistent in relation how many turns used.

The blue wire coming from the plate resistor going to the first triode is running next to the heater wire :shock: never seen that with liverpool pics.

No MOV on the power switch?
2tone

Post by 2tone »

What is the name of the amp?? didn't see that. maybe this is a Dave Funk built amp..He did a few for Ken..
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

erwin_ve wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:43 pm What is different?

The wiring for the standby switch. In original liverpool pics the first node of filtering is powered and then goes to the standby switch.
In the Harrison ad: Right after the diode rectifiers the B+ is going to the standby switch.

No damping with tape foam, which I think is critical in this circuit.

Heater wiring is off, in Liverpool pics it's consistent in relation how many turns used.

The blue wire coming from the plate resistor going to the first triode is running next to the heater wire :shock: never seen that with liverpool pics.

No MOV on the power switch?
The standby switch wiring was pretty common on Expresses and also the lazy heater twists.

The blue wire on V1 and V2 are wired unusual..

Actually all the wires look off IMO. Ken had clean, not bent up wires for the most part anyways. I think this is way before Dave Funks build time, even if theres any truth to that story.

Id be really interested in who ownd this amp prior.
2tone

Post by 2tone »

if we knew the name of the amp someone should know about it...some of the TW clan.. Dave Funk did built a few amps, Rocket included, and it could have been mid to late 90's...….
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

It is unusual they didn't mention the name. They did make mention of the cabinet maker and tube layout sticker. Listing has now ended and not for sale on there site. Ironically "reject" is still for sale on there site but ended a few weeks ago on Reverb.

Doubt this sold within 19 days but what do I know.
2tone

Post by 2tone »

they told me the name was Kacy..I hadn't heard of that one.....
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Reminds me of the new production Trainwrecks inside.
2tone

Post by 2tone »

The woodburned TRAINWRECK by the input is different, and today the Reverb listing is gone...
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

Yes not sure I can find a example of that Trainwreck font except on some Reissues.

Also just noticed the electrolytic ground wires are floating. The 12 or so originals I've seen all ways were laid on the chassis floor.