Merren built Express output transformers

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Merren built Express output transformers

Post by Mark »

It was suggested in a past thread that Chris Merren will build Express output transformers exactly as he built them for Ken Fischer. I contacted Chris and this is all true. This is what Chris had to say:

Hi Mark...
Thanks for the email...
I do wind Train-wreck OT's..... Not recently though....
I wound a bunch A-3801 OT's for Kenny Fisher in the late 80's early 90's... when he couldn't source them anymore..
I lived 30 minutes from Kenny in those days...
Kenny wasn't happy with the A-3801...he wanted more presence and more tighter bottom end...
He thought the original A-3801 was bit murky and soft on the bottom...
Eventually I design the Express OT for him....
So I wound exactly 12 transformer variations of the 3801...
After critical listening he picked one that he liked...
This design was sent to Pacific Transformer to wind in higher volume...

I came up with a test that Kenny could quickly apply to check the OT's...
Kenny was rejecting like 40% to 60% of the transformers from batches arriving from Pacific Transformer and sending them back...
We had to put hidden marks in the transformers since they tried to send back some of the previous rejects in the next order...
Kenny would order 50 at a time from Pacific Transformer...

If anyone would like the Express OT's wound exactly the way Kenny had me do them ....I can still wind them..
The only issue is that I have to buy 400 pounds of steel laminations since that is a minimum buy quantity...
So... I would need to sell about 20 transformer just to break even....

Best Regards,
Chris Merren
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
RockinRocket

Re: Merren built Express output transformers

Post by RockinRocket »

Cool history Mark thanks for sharing!

Id agree on the Stancor's frequency response. I actually like it. Smoother overall.

I'm surprised Pacific would take returns.. If machines wound them seems like they would come out equal.

Wonder if Merrens transformers made it into any production amps?
Mark

Post by Mark »

There was someone selling hi end Marshall Park clones that was offering Merren transformers as an option.
I don't recall the name of the company though.

BTW, if anyone one wants to do a group buy, I'm in for one. How often do you get to buy something which is close as you can get to the real thing.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

Ive got a few A3801 :D but whats wrong with the Pacifics? They are just building off Merren's design, no?
Roe

Post by Roe »

Mark wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:38 am There was someone selling hi end Marshall Park clones that was offering Merren transformers as an option.

BTW, if anyone one wants to do a group buy, I'm in for one. How often do you get to buy something which is close as you can get to the real thing.
yes, his plexi transformers are well-known and highly sought after. Park and Germinio, for instance, have used Merren transformers
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ive got a few A3801 :D but whats wrong with the Pacifics? They are just building off Merren's design, no?
I can't answer for Chris Merren, but they didn't pass a required test Merren felt ensured proper QC.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

Id be interested in knowing what the issues were.. were they quality issues or was it simply a tone test Ken didnt approve?

I would find it strange Pacific would still manufacture for Ken if 60% didnt meet his tonal expectations.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Go to Merren Audio and ask Chris, he might be able to tell you more.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Winder

Post by Winder »

I had asked Chris about getting Express OT transformers a few months back ... he said he'd need an order of at least 10 OTs. Maybe somewhere between 10 and 20 would be enough. I'd be in for one or two in a group buy as long as they're not priced like Titanium. :D
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

Did Ken put any Merrens in a actual production amp?
Mark

Post by Mark »

I'd be in for a transformer too, provided they weren't insanely priced. That's two transformers.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
newking70

Post by newking70 »

Mark wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:38 am There was someone selling hi end Marshall Park clones that was offering Merren transformers as an option.

that would be mitch colby.
Roe

Post by Roe »

newking70 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:00 am

that would be mitch colby.
Yes, Mitch used Merren (and Classictone as a budget option). The Merren transformers seem to have a little more bite and brightness than some of the other plexi transformers. Some also claim that they also sound more detailed than other plexi transformers
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
hitchcaster

Post by hitchcaster »

has anyone asked about rocket transformers? supposedly he did something to the a470 OT's... i've asked chris twice about KF transformers and never got any response.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I got a response asking if he still made them. I have heard he is tight lipped about the details of the transformers.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott