Parts List

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

juse

Parts List

Post by juse »

I have done what I would consider a due-diligent search of this site for a standardized parts list for the express, but cannot find one. I am a tube noob in the design department and am wondering if I am to piece together a parts list on my own, or if there is one hiding from me somewhere. I know that there are many components that can/will be tweaked to obtain personal satisfaction, but I would like to have a ground zero generic parts list to start out with.

Thanks!
Allynmey
Site Admin

Re: Parts List

Post by Allynmey »

Hi Juse, you can use one of many layouts on the forum to build a parts list. The reason you don't see an original parts list is the parts are so rara you could spend months and not have half of them. Look at the layout by drhulsey. Follow the wiring layout and spacings...you'll do fine. Plenty of help on this site.

Allyn
juse

Post by juse »

Thanks Allyn. I was just looking for a generic list, didn't have to be the original parts or anything. Do most of the designers here start with one of Nik's kits, or are there known & trusted suppliers like Allied, Digikey, Mouser or Newark that everyone uses? I guess I'm being lazy & looking for a way to get a quick start (without buying a kit). I understand if making my own list is a part of the process, though. It would probably make me more familiar with it all anyway. It sure would be nice, though, to have one! :)

I appreciate the help & believe this forum is my new home.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

juse wrote:Thanks Allyn. I was just looking for a generic list, didn't have to be the original parts or anything. Do most of the designers here start with one of Nik's kits, or are there known & trusted suppliers like Allied, Digikey, Mouser or Newark that everyone uses? I guess I'm being lazy & looking for a way to get a quick start (without buying a kit). I understand if making my own list is a part of the process, though. It would probably make me more familiar with it all anyway. It sure would be nice, though, to have one! :)

I appreciate the help & believe this forum is my new home.
You can use Mouser for the majority of the stuff and http://www.tubesandmore.com (Antique Electronics Supply) for the rest.

I'd say go ahead and develop your own list. As you say, it will make your more familiar with the design. If you intend to be a builder/musician rather than just a musician looking for a cool alternative to high cost boutique amps, you need all the familiarity and communication skills you can get. Antique Electronics Supply has SBE PS style orange drops which are better in guitar amps than the 715 or 716 series spragues. I've not used the yellow or mustard caps though I've got some waiting test. For resistors, many here use Vishay/Dale RN65s in the signal chain and generic carbon or metal film resistors for everything else. For power resistors I've been using 2 and 3 watt metal oxide resistors. The higher power ones will need to be wirewound. Get a Mouser catalog, you'll learn a bunch browsing. There is a low cost Xicon cap that some are using in place of the PS or mustard series. I forget what it is. Caps make a huge difference in tone. So does iron (transformers). Toneslut has what you need for transformers for this build. I'm too cheap and get most of my transformers out of old ebay amps. I have used Mercury Magnetics too. Look at turretboards.com, amplates.com, mojomusicalsupply.com, apexjr.com, AllynMey's web page. There are dozens more but these will give you a start. Apexjr has the really, really best deal on teflon wire. Be sure and use that otherwise you'll be frustrated getting things soldered up without making a mess of things.

Welcome and go for it.
Dan H
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
juse

Post by juse »

Wow, thanks Dan, that really hits the spot. Thanks for putting it in a nutshell like that - it helps demystify it some. Great links, too. I already have my toneslut trannies picked out, not a bad price for both, either. I'm trying to decide whether to fab my own chassis or get one from Nik. Probably get one from Nik so I can see what it is supposed to look like. Plus, I don't have a metal punch. Anyway, thanks again! Here I go......
UR12

Post by UR12 »

juse wrote:I have done what I would consider a due-diligent search of this site for a standardized parts list for the express, but cannot find one. I am a tube noob in the design department and am wondering if I am to piece together a parts list on my own, or if there is one hiding from me somewhere. I know that there are many components that can/will be tweaked to obtain personal satisfaction, but I would like to have a ground zero generic parts list to start out with.

Thanks!
Actually, there is a bom avalable using the search. You can find it here. Maybe we should get Omar to put this in the files section to make it easier to find

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ht=bom+xls
juse

Post by juse »

Excellent Dana! This will work great for me. I talked to a friend today and found out that he is auctioning off his PCB assembly shop & he said I can rummage through it this week to see if I can find anything for my build. He has a 22,000 sq' building full of boxes of all kinds of stuff. Reels & reels of caps, resistors, diodes etc. I have no idea what I may find, but with this bom in hand I have a better chance of possibly scoring. If I score big, I'll share with the forum. I know there are no tubes in the mess, but I might snag a bench & a nice variable temp soldering station. Yes!!! I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks again everyone!
juse

Post by juse »

Well, circumstances kept me from scrounging through the pre-auction inventory. I missed the boat on that one. But, my friend felt sorry for me & gave me a nice Hakko variable temp soldering station. Wasn't a total loss.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

juse wrote:Well, circumstances kept me from scrounging through the pre-auction inventory. I missed the boat on that one. But, my friend felt sorry for me & gave me a nice Hakko variable temp soldering station. Wasn't a total loss.
Wow. No indeed.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I have received a pm on finding the BOM for liverpool build and advised the guy the best I could being new to this forum. The question was a more complete BOM for liverpool build. I also advised to send a question to Allyn or Ron.

I have been struggling on sourcing the other items that are not on the ampgarage BOM. Does anyone have a BOM for their build that us newbees could look at. I don't care that we all build ours differently because what you have still helps us new guys. My build is using Allyns chassis and will order heyboeyer trannies. Will more than likely use Weber kit site for many other parts as well as Mouser and DigiKey. Give us what ever you have, thanks. I am not alone with this wish list. Let us know, thank you guys. Being new I really enjoy this forum and have spend many nights reviewing all the old posts as well searching. Still mad as wet hen that we can't use the Trainwreck logo on the head cabs, because is so sweet.

Mark
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

If you look in the sticky files for each amp at the top of the TW files section, there is a BOM for each TW type of amp that I put together with the help of the entire crew here at TAG......

It has current parts that are available as well as notes on what Ken Fisher used on the originals if you get lucky enough to score some NOS stuff.

The prices on the BOMs are not current- there have been some serious increases on just about everything, presumably due to Energy and commodity prices... who knows...

I will update the prices perhaps once a year, because that is a monumental task in of itself...

Ron