another Express type build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Re: another Express type build

Post by norburybrook »

Groove1 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:40 pm
norburybrook wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:56 pm
It's a great sounding amp this one, better than the first one i built, it has a chime/bite that i don't remember the first one having and it cleans up better too on the gtr volume. I'm tempted to make one for myself now, really enjoyed playing this today. With my dumble 1x12 classic lead 80 cab and this amp it's a powerful little rig that does a really nice SRV chime/grit thing in a very small package.

M
Marcus,
maybe the Orange Drops used now make the better sound. I remember your first express where you installed the Sozos. Maybe the right iron also.
I built an express with 150s Mallorys. Later I changed it to 6PS Orange Drops. Much better sound.

Anyway, great work.

Did you test the amp with EV12L? If so, which is better? The Celestion Classic lead 80 or the EV12L?

Groove
Delivered the amp today. Installed the Celestion Classic lead 80 into the front ported cab and fired it all up. Sounded fantastic, the cab with at speaker is roaring with that amp. As it's closed back it has a great low end punch too. It seems a 1x12 guitar speaker is a very simple and forgiving thing to experiment with. I made the cab just around the old peavey combo dimensions but straight up and down not sloped. I order some round ports but realised they'd sit proud of the baffle so i couldn't directly put cloth on the baffle so decided to cut a rectangular 'port' by eye. I'd no idea what it would sound like until today......sounds great :D even out of the box the speaker is great.

@Groove, yes the orange drops might have affected the tone, the iron still isn't 'correct' for a true Express I used the same Marshall 3.4k JCM transformer as before. I used the new EHX EL34's and after what I've read they're the closes thing to original EL34's and they've done a great job with them, so that's another thing that may have changed things.

Anyway I left my friend a happy bunny and he's finalising everything now this evening as it's all going to EC's lockup tomorrow to be shipped to Dallas.

the rig will be 50w #102 into 1x12 Fane cab, permanently in OD -the 'Dry' amp.
amp 2 is one of the express amps and takes the time based FX, not wet dry though regular way in front of the amp as the two amps are on together all the time mostly without any FX

the signal is split using a Lehle P split.

Main guitar is a '64 Single pickup Gibson Firebird .
IMG_20190820_161308.jpg
if anyone is going to crossroads keep an eye out for Alan Darby, guitarist in Eric Clapton's band :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groove1

Post by Groove1 »

Thank you Marcus for your Info and the picture. I think I will check one day a Celestion Classic Lead 80 in my 112 Cab for my Express too.
Great the Photo with the rig and I see some Firebirds around in the room. I can understand your friend, I have also one 76 Firebird.

Sorry, no chance to go to Dallas. But I hope we will have the luck to get a youtube from the crossroads.

Groove
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I just thought I'd post an update on this amp and owner.

My friend Alan Darby who I built it for sadly passed away last month after a long battle with Myeloma.

the amp has a new owner now who is actually coming over today for a visit and a once over, hence me digging up this build thread.

Life's short people, don't wait to do the things you want to do.

M x
Groove1

Post by Groove1 »

Marcus,
I am sorry to read here of the death of your friend Alan Darby. May he rest in peace.
I remember the YouTube video where he was on stage at the Crossroad Festival with all the musicians in the finale and with his (your) Express. Great sound.

"Live’s short people …"
You are right. I should finally build my second Express. The parts are already waiting for it.
All the best to you, Marcus

Groove