another Express type build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: another Express type build

Post by martin manning »

Puzzled.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Nice cabs Marcus. Cream tolex will look great! You saw mine already in my thread in the Speaker Cabinet forum section.
I used the Sand nubtex tolex and thanks to a friends request I matched it with the Oxblood grill cloth with white piping and thought it matched nicely.

I see you painted the inside before applying the tolex, I learned that lesson the hard way LOL.

Cheers

Guy
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

Sorry Marcus, to clutter up your thread, but Martins comment had me laughing

Also, nice attention to detail, beautiful cabinet work!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

joeboo88 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:26 pm Sorry Marcus, to clutter up your thread, but Martins comment had me laughing

Also, nice attention to detail, beautiful cabinet work!
Martins comment had us all laughing here :D I've learned over the last few months we have a big love of dogs here on TAG hence me posting that particular picture :D

I'm going over to a friends this morning to do the bevel on the Walnut face panel, I didn't want to chance doing it badly, then back to tolexing :D

M
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Well I planed the Walnut into shape went through 60,80,120,240,400 grit sand papers then applied sealer. Then polished with Tru oil, which is gun stock oil.

Did my Tolexing and grill cloth piping etc.

Few little things left to do after i return from a much needed holiday.
Wreck-cab 1.jpeg
Wreck cab 2.jpeg

M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

mmm JUICY :) Looks great!

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Looks great! I like how the diamond grill cloth and white piping go with the tolex. :D
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

thanks guys, I'm pleased with it. The front panel especially. That was a bit nerve racking taking a plane to that :D

M
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

well I spent the day tweaking and setting things up/burn in as it's going to be delivered tomorrow to it's new owner.

I fitted a switch to switch between 0.05 and 0.002uF when in fast mode, I've labelled it as 'Fast mode bass boost' , glued the bright caps together/to the pot so less chance of vibrations. Decided as it's a part tolex cab i should make a back panel so have done that.

i still don't know what the cab will sound like until we get the Celestion Classic lead 80 in tomorrow. Amp is sounding Killer through my 1x12 lead 80 cab.

Will report back with some pics of the hand over and testing.
IMG_20190819_131447-01.jpeg
IMG_20190819_120258.jpg
IMG_20190819_120243.jpg

M
didit

Post by didit »

Looks like a "keeper" to me.

Best .. Ian
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

The cabinet and speaker cab is really something, something you would want sitting in you living room...lol

Marcus how does the MV sound in your Express? Does the cut control work well with it?
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

joeboo88 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:13 pm The cabinet and speaker cab is really something, something you would want sitting in you living room...lol

Marcus how does the MV sound in your Express? Does the cut control work well with it?
The MV works great, nothing much Happens for the first half of the sweep, maybe it's because it's a linear pot, it does take the edge off the volume though in a good way. Once past midway it really starts to work, and out of all the master volume types this one is the best IMHO an this amp, it's the LarMar type 2 the dual 250k pot replacing the grid leak resistors. Obviously it won't make the amp great at bedroom levels but for taming the amp a little it's great.

The cut control is also very useful and a simple addition, they're very bright amps so the cut just takes the edge off if needed, I've added a bypass switch so it can be taken out of circuit.

It's a great sounding amp this one, better than the first one i built, it has a chime/bite that i don't remember the first one having and it cleans up better too on the gtr volume. I'm tempted to make one for myself now, really enjoyed playing this today. With my dumble 1x12 classic lead 80 cab and this amp it's a powerful little rig that does a really nice SRV chime/grit thing in a very small package.

M
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

Thanks for the info.... I sold my Express I built a couple of years ago.
I could only run my amp at 1 or 2 because where I lived at the time
I keep thinking I should build another too. Maybe I will. I still have a Pacific 6.6k OT and an express faceplate that I got from RJ
That has David Root’s name on it....
peace
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

joeboo88 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:49 pm Thanks for the info.... I sold my Express I built a couple of years ago.
I could only run my amp at 1 or 2 because where I lived at the time
I keep thinking I should build another too. Maybe I will. I still have a Pacific 6.6k OT and an express faceplate that I got from RJ
That has David Root’s name on it....
peace
Put the fast slow split plate switch on, makes it a lot more more usable along with the master volume.

M
Groove1

Post by Groove1 »

norburybrook wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:56 pm
It's a great sounding amp this one, better than the first one i built, it has a chime/bite that i don't remember the first one having and it cleans up better too on the gtr volume. I'm tempted to make one for myself now, really enjoyed playing this today. With my dumble 1x12 classic lead 80 cab and this amp it's a powerful little rig that does a really nice SRV chime/grit thing in a very small package.

M
Marcus,
maybe the Orange Drops used now make the better sound. I remember your first express where you installed the Sozos. Maybe the right iron also.
I built an express with 150s Mallorys. Later I changed it to 6PS Orange Drops. Much better sound.

Anyway, great work.

Did you test the amp with EV12L? If so, which is better? The Celestion Classic lead 80 or the EV12L?

Groove