Ceriatone C-Wreck vs Rocket

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Re: Ceriatone C-Wreck vs Rocket

Post by norburybrook »

If you want clean headroom build a blackface/silver face fender circuit :D

these amps are designed to crunch and OD

M
telekasper

Post by telekasper »

I realize all of that. However, the amp has a beautiful clean tone. I'm just trying to get the grit to come on a little later.
You guys, I'm a pro guitar player, I didn't build this amp. Its so close to being perfect for what I do, just asking for some suggestions other than ''buy a fender''.
didit

Post by didit »

What speakers does it drive? That too can be as big or bigger contribution to the overall.

Best .. Ian
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

telekasper wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:05 pm I realize all of that. However, the amp has a beautiful clean tone. I'm just trying to get the grit to come on a little later.
You guys, I'm a pro guitar player, I didn't build this amp. Its so close to being perfect for what I do, just asking for some suggestions other than ''buy a fender''.
Sure I wasn't trying to be PIA I thought I'd been helpful earlier in the thread to you. it's just we've been through all the ways to get as much clean headroom out of it as you can and you still seemed to want more :D hence my post.

These amps aren't designed for clean heardroom :D I htink they sound best with either a classic 4x12 or a pair of Alnico 2x12 like the Z wreck blue and Gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxqXyWbwUHk

here's what they should sound like :D as you can here even with a vintage low output telecaster it's not clean.

M
telekasper

Post by telekasper »

I'm driving a 1x12 open back cab with a Fane Axiom alnico. Its a 103db speaker and sounds nice!
Its funny, but my amp really sounds much cleaner than any other examples of a z-wreck circuit I've heard. Not sure whats going on with mine as I didn't build it, but it has a pretty pure clean tone up until around 1 o'clock [now] with the PPIMV up around 3 o'clock,which should be loud enough! I have owned many a Fender's, JC120's and prior to this amp I played this summers festivals with a Yamaha G100II, so trust me I know and love clean tones. I bought this head as it was a great deal and I thought it would be a compact rig for the upcoming club season. The seller was the original owner and said it was a C-Wreck prototype before they released a kit, so it may have the rock-it filtering and other rock-it similarities. It was wired up by Nik at Ceriatone. Surprisingly, it sounds great clean and I think it may just work out, its just a different type of clean [vox] than I'm used too.
Norburybrook, I appreciate your your helpful advice. But you said that your amp is less gainey with the cathode bypass cap in, and more gainey with it removed. Thats the opposite of what my testing revealed. Then you tell me to buy a Fender amp? Honestly, I'm just looking for some small tweaks to get this in the zone that my ears want to hear.
For instance, I asked which 22k/3w I should change to 10k, they both connect to B4. And I inquired about the 10k midrange cap on the bass pot...anybody?
I think a little less midrange and Bass would be right where I want to be.

Of course, if anybody in the EU wants to do a trade for a clean head of similar wattage, I'm open to a swap! ;-)
Last edited by telekasper on Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

telekasper wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:52 pm Thanks, Hope I'm following. I changed the 22k/3w at the filter caps [b4] to 10k and there was no voltage increase, so I put the 22k back.
There is a 22k/3w on the circuit board [also B4] that ties to v1. I changed that to 10k and the voltage went up to 170v but it seems a little bassier. If anything, I would like to cut some bass content.
On the layout, which 22k / 3w are you referring to?
Another question, the 10k thats on the bass pot to ground sets the midrange, right? Can this value be lowered for less mids?
The amp sounds great and there is enough clean headroom now. I'd just like to fine tune a couple things and get as much headroom as possible.
On the board there is a B+4 connection to a 22k/3w dropping resistor connected to 10uf/450v cap and to the 220k plate resistor.

Yes that mid range resistor can be lower or increased to your desire.

I know on my Rocket and my Clone Zwreck I use the cut control to add treble and I use the bright switch a lot.
telekasper

Post by telekasper »

''On the board there is a B+4 connection to a 22k/3w dropping resistor connected to 10uf/450v cap and to the 220k plate resistor.

Yes that mid range resistor can be lower or increased to your desire.''

Thanks, thats the one I dropped to 10k and only got a marginal voltage increase? Also, can that drop from 22k/3w to 10k/3w add more bass content or is it my ears? And about the 10k bass pot resistor, dropping it shifts the midrange down, correct? What value would you try to get a more fendery/scooped midrange?

So far, dropping the 220k plate resistor to 100k had the most desirable outcome, thanks everyone who recommended that!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

telekasper wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:36 pm I
Norburybrook, I appreciate your your helpful advice. But you said that your amp is less gainey with the cathode bypass cap in, and more gainey with it removed. Thats the opposite of what my testing revealed. Then you tell me to buy a Fender amp? Honestly, I'm just looking for some small tweaks to get this in the zone that my ears want to hear.
No , I said the opposite , it was someone else who said that :D

with the cathode cap in and the 220 divider wreck style my amp has MORE GAIN, in rocket mode it has Less gain.

anyway glad you got it sorted :D

M
telekasper

Post by telekasper »

Oh, sorry norburybrook!
Anyway, its not sorted yet, I was wondering about the midrange resistor value. Bigger = more of a scoop, or the other way around?

Nevermind, found the answer
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

telekasper wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:05 am Oh, sorry norburybrook!
Anyway, its not sorted yet, I was wondering about the midrange resistor value. Bigger = more of a scoop, or the other way around?

Nevermind, found the answer
No worries :D they're great amps and I could tell that was one of Nik's builds he's a great builder...he has history on here so be aware of that :D

enjoy your amp

M
telekasper

Post by telekasper »

I'm not aware of Nik's history here, but he sure is a responsive and nice guy to deal with, answering a few of my stupid 'read the manual' questions with a cheerful attitude.
I tested my amp out with a 5k6 resistor to ground from the bass pot, and wow, really exactly the kind of scoop I was looking for. Now I can use the bass pot low without boosting the mids too much = perfect for me. I'm gonna button this amp up and leave it, mission accomplished!
You guys have been really helpful, sorry if I was short with anybody cause this thread started on a kind of sour note. I appreciate folks freely giving their advice to strangers, it makes the world a better place! 🍻
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

telekasper wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:11 am I'm not aware of Nik's history here, but he sure is a responsive and nice guy to deal with, answering a few of my stupid 'read the manual' questions with a cheerful attitude.
I tested my amp out with a 5k6 resistor to ground from the bass pot, and wow, really exactly the kind of scoop I was looking for. Now I can use the bass pot low without boosting the mids too much = perfect for me. I'm gonna button this amp up and leave it, mission accomplished!
You guys have been really helpful, sorry if I was short with anybody cause this thread started on a kind of sour note. I appreciate folks freely giving their advice to strangers, it makes the world a better place! 🍻
I am glad you got help. I myself didn't have useful information, and basically will mirror what Marcus said. Many of the forum members have had to deal with 'technical support questions' for nik's amps. It seems he's getting better at doing it himself nowadays :) Sadly nothing to do with you, but you got a bit of the frustration of it as do many Ceriatone users coming here for help.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
telekasper

Post by telekasper »

Well, in Niks defense, I didn't build the amp or buy it new, so I really didn't feel it was appropriate to bother the guy about 'mods and tweaks'..... so I bothered you guys! :D
I did ask him stuff like when using the 1/2 power switch with an 8ohm speaker do I set the impedance at 4ohms? General stuff like that.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

telekasper wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:28 pm Well, in Niks defense, I didn't build the amp or buy it new, so I really didn't feel it was appropriate to bother the guy about 'mods and tweaks'..... so I bothered you guys! :D
I did ask him stuff like when using the 1/2 power switch with an 8ohm speaker do I set the impedance at 4ohms? General stuff like that.
You aren't and you didn't. I'm letting you know you took the brunt of someone else's problem. My only minor concern was the thread thing that I can fix easily myself and I did.

Should be SMOOTH sailing, from here on out...

hopefully :P

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Mark

Post by Mark »

I think Nik is the kind of guy who does stand by his product. I don't think he'd mind you asking him questions, he gets stacks of them from tire kickers every day on his Facebook page.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott