Standalone Express Preamp

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jarrodthebobo

Standalone Express Preamp

Post by jarrodthebobo »

Hi guys, brand new here but I've been lurking for a while!

I had some left over parts from an amp project I've been working on for a few years now; adding to it and changing it as I see fit. It's a weird sort of Marshall monster that goes from Plexi specs to JCM800 specs to every modded marshall sound you can think of, all running into a parallel single ended 6550 power amp that is way louder than it aught to be.... so ANYWAYS, with the left over tranny and caps I decided to quickly throw together an express Preamp. I was a bit weary that it wouldn't really have the Trainwreck magic being that I wouldn't really be getting any power amp distortion running this thing directly into a soundcard, but I was pretty wrong; it sounds phenomenal!

The only little mod I did to this preamp was added a "fake PI" in the form of a 2.2k biased gain stage after the 10k stage, which then runs into a master volume pot. This preamp is REALLY loud when plugged into my diy marshall thing power amp, but a little less so running into my Marshall 9000 power amp, which is odd to say the least.

Have a couple of clips

https://soundcloud.com/jarrod-beauchemi ... reck-blues