Trainwreck Rocket clone...

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

paulslagle

Trainwreck Rocket clone...

Post by paulslagle »

Hello good people of the Amp Garage, and thank you for allowing me on board.

First, in the interest of full disclosure, I am not an amp builder. Waaay too dumb, wouldn't have the first clue. That's why I make guitars. :) And this is not some spam crap either. I am merely looking for information on an amp I have, a very pretty Trainwreck Rocket. I found the gentleman who built the headshell, a member at TGP, but I am also looking for help in Identifying the transformers, and any other info I may be able to gather, as I am sadly forced into a mass liquidation of my gear. No, not divorce or lawsuit, but health issues and possible "final expenses" as they are sometimes called. The jury is still partially out right now though. Some of my friends have said, "After the apocalypse, it's gonna just be cockroaches, you, and Keith Richards" :)

Anyway, I have a attached a bunch of pics for your viewing pleasure. If anyone can be of any assistance, I would be grateful. Also, and I am sorry if this is the kind of question that is not allowed, but any help in determining worth, would be most helpful. This thing is a really great amp. Sonically, it's $10,000.00. Real world, sadly, not so much

Thank you in advance for your time and help, brothers. I appreciate it.

Roe

Re: Trainwreck Rocket clone...

Post by Roe »

very nice! I'm working on a 100w rocket/ac100/v100/superchief myself
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

I hope your health improves and turns out not as severe as you indicate.
This is a nicely executed copy of a Rocket using Heyboer transformers and a Vox AC30 type choke, as well as some deviations in capacitors. The cabinet looks much like one I bought from one of our builders here.
It is worth only what someone will pay, and that is dependent on someone wanting a homemade TW Rocket copy with substituted parts. There seemed to be more interest in homemade Rockets a few years ago, but hopefully you can get $800-1,000 for it, or more if you find the right buyer - the cabinet is beautiful and will help elevate the price. Others here should chime in with their estimates.
Best luck to you.
ampmike

Post by ampmike »

Roe wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:11 pm very nice! I'm working on a 100w rocket/ac100/v100/superchief myself
Man a 100 watt rocket,Thats going to kick some ass. :D
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
Roe

Post by Roe »

ampmike wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:36 pm
Roe wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:11 pm very nice! I'm working on a 100w rocket/ac100/v100/superchief myself
Man a 100 watt rocket,Thats going to kick some ass. :D
it's up and running but I am still tweaking it. sometimes an ac30 just lacks headroom and punch. then an ac100 is perfect - its one of the greatest amps of all time and essential to the beatles, stones and early fleetwood mac (peter green)
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Roe wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:56 pm it's up and running but I am still tweaking it. sometimes an ac30 just lacks headroom and punch. then an ac100 is perfect - its one of the greatest amps of all time and essential to the beatles, stones and early fleetwood mac (peter green)
Roe,

I'll look for a new thread and some details on this amp! I always enjoy your amps and perspective on building.

To the OP: very nice Rocket! I hope it fetches a good price. Be well.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I built an AC100 in the chassis where my marshall dual lives now, loved the tone, but the PT basically was shit, and intermittently faulty, and I didn't figure that out until I gutted the AC100 and rebuild the marshall in the chassis.

Now I almost want to rebuild it :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Great looking amp, sorry to hear of your misfortune. I thought the amp looks quite good, the decals on the back don't look so good and should be Dyno labels. The output transformer doesn't look like the Triode repro to me, it looks like a Liverpool output transformer, but I could well be wrong. I think RJ built a Rocket with this transformer and was very happy with the results.

Good luck with your health and your amp on the future.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott