Tube question Trainwreck Express

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Oddvar R

Tube question Trainwreck Express

Post by Oddvar R »

Hi. I have now used my Trainwreck build for awhile and it seems to me to be very sensitive to what tube to use. To my ears it seems a bit harsh/trebly with the wrong ones. I see that Tungsram Ecc83's are recommended by some. Siemens EL34's seems to be the better choice.

I am wondering if some new, reissue tubes could sound as good as the Nib/Nos ones. The designer did his choices in a time period when tubes where a bit scarcer than today (maybe), and that newer and a possibly better emulation technics has moved the construction forward? I have just bought a pair of Siemens EL34's and one Ei prewar Ecc83, but buying Nos tubes can be quite expensive, and might not even be necessary?

Any views on this?
rooster

Re: Tube question Trainwreck Express

Post by rooster »

The Siemens are a bit bass heavy which might work for you, not the best higher frequencies, imo. The best power tube: NOS Mullard XF2 single getter. Regarding the Tungsram tube they were popular at one time for a variety of amps, including Fender amps, because some of them had higher gain than other 12AX7s, but they tend to go microphonic in the Express and you really don't need a hot 12AX7 to get gain from an Express. I sought them out at one time because of the interest here on the forum, however: Best V1 preamp tube for the Express - Holland/Philips/Amperex "I63" 12AX7.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
Winder

Post by Winder »

IMO, Rooster is spot on. Xf2's can be very expensive, but they are killer in the Express. Mine are Double O getter.

With regard to new production, if you can get the GT Mullard EL34 (I think EL-34-M XF2 copy) - I think Antique sells them - they are respectable. Also, Electroharmix EL-34 for new production are reasonably nice. I have NOS Seimens, and the're sonically much like the EH, but sing a bit more than the EH and feel more powerful.

I would definitely run Amperex in the second and third positions of the preamp. Amperex in V1b at the input is a good choice. I like Tunsgram and Yugo Ei tubes there, as well as Raytheon Black Plates, but there are short plate old stock USA tubes that are killer there as well ... you need to roll them yourself to find the winners. My experience matches Rooster again with the Tungsram, as well as Ei and Raytheon in that they tend to go microphonic in the first position. Telefunken is nice here too ... all are more agressive, IMO, than Amperex so it depends on what you are after. Hard to beat a Bugle Boy.

I have yet to find a new production pre-amp tube I can stomache ... pretty much in any amp. JJ ECC803 is almost acceptable. Closest for me so far, but with a bag of NOS on hand, I just can't leave the new stuff in. I've heard some Sovtek's work well there (don't recall which). Haven't tried those.
DaveWell

Post by DaveWell »

This my tube setting, after test a lot of tube.

Preamp Tube:
V1: Tung-Sol 12AX7
V2: JJ ECC83s
V3: (PI) : JJ ECC803s ("over-sized" plates)

Power Tube:
V4/V5: JJ E34L

Best setting so far...
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

I'd say stick to NOS, but finding them today versus a decade ago is nearly impossible and crazy expensive. Yes, Tungsram 12AX7s are the go to preamp tube, but finding them? Many tube makers sold them under multiple names, thus knowing what to look for design wise (and codes) can help you find those hidden gems. Seimens and RFT EL34s as well as the unobtainium XF2 Mullards are the best in Express. Finding good NOS EL84s is a bit easier the EL34s, but still not cheap. The Russian equivalents, namely Saratovs are great in both Liverpools and Rockets. Sovtek used to sell these as EL84M, and those used to be super cheap. Not anymore, and they also don't appear to be the same structure as they used to.

From my experience, if you find preamp tubes that are non-microphonic and sound good, use them. Same with power tubes. If they sound good use them. Regardless if they are cheap Chinese generic tubes or high end NOS.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
2tone

Post by 2tone »

I have come to prefer Siemens over the XF2's..More musical mids, sweeter..