Dirty Little Monster

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RockinRocket

Dirty Little Monster

Post by RockinRocket »

Some one buy this and post the schematic that is included :lol:

https://cartervintage.com/collections/a ... nster-1999
andyhardy

Re: Dirty Little Monster

Post by andyhardy »

$45,000 "Cab Sold Separately"
hows that work?
maybe schematic sold separately too..
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Has anybody ever actually heard this thing?
2tone

Post by 2tone »

Interesting that Ken would give out the schematic with the amp. I have seen another schematic that may not be the same as the original DLM, which supposedly was built in a Champ chassis? Ken had carefully guarded the schematic etc on the DLM. At one time there was talk of it being manufactured by an amp company, but nothing evolved..
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I think wreckboy, a member here, owned it at at one time... So yes, someone here has more than likely heard it.

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26576
Last edited by dorrisant on Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

2tone wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:40 pm Interesting that Ken would give out the schematic with the amp. I have seen another schematic that may not be the same as the original DLM, which supposedly was built in a Champ chassis? Ken had carefully guarded the schematic etc on the DLM. At one time there was talk of it being manufactured by an amp company, but nothing evolved..
Hogy at Komet Amps was going to market the DLM but it was cost prohibitive for a small amp. You would pay the same amount for a 5w amp as a 50w amp.

Mark
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

... and Hogy is a member here too.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
didit

Post by didit »

--- perhaps underestimating those with money to spend in pursuit of rockstar tone.

Best .. Ian
newking70

Post by newking70 »

I asked JM about them awhile back, here's his response:

The original which no one really knows a lot about was a Fender champ modified with an El 34. It is a single ended amp.There was one or 2 not sure of even 2 but could be one more, however, I knew the owner of the original built on the chassis. I don't know how much it was modified from the original Champ. I'd have to do some searching. I think it sold on ebay for like 40K. I played the original DLM modified champ and it was horrible. Farty bass not full sounding at all. I don't recall how the ones built on a chassis sounded. Ken didn't really like it either but he built a few to satisfy close friends who really wanted it. I was asked to reproduce them a while back, but declined.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

That's interesting. I'm guessing the ones built on a chassis are the ones in a Trainwreck cabinet.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Regarding JM's comment, I think JM can't be right. The DLM has two pre-amp valves whereas a Champ has only one 12AX7. Hogy has posted clips of the DLM on the Gear Page, it sounds killer.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... k.2129651/
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

What Hogy mentioned, though, is that while it follows the topology of DLM, it is definitely not the same amp and himself was less than excited with the original :) So JM might have had a point.

Niki
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hogy was less excited with the real amp due to the small original output transformer. My initial point was that the DLM can't be just a modified Champ as a Champ only has one 12AX7. It has to have a different topology.

Hogy has seen the real amp and the circuit diagram. We are not to know how different the amp built to the diagram is to Hogy's amp.

I think if he were to sell it, he would be looking at having it made overseas to meet the price point of such amps

I dare say we don't know enough about it to build it and I don't see that changing soon. The thing I noticed with Hogy's amp is he ditched the GZ34 for a solid state rectifier. The transformers in the amp are bigger than what we are accustomed to for a Fender Champ. Though the Fender transformers only just cut it. I stuck a 6L6 valve in with a transformer that could deliver the extra wattage and the power transformer was extremely hot.

AX84 have made high powered single ended amps that would give the DLM a run for it's money.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
jarrodthebobo

Post by jarrodthebobo »

By no means is this a DLM, but it is a higher gain circuit with a single ended output stage that can really push some volume. Also it does more than just the 68 specs, lol.

Single ended 6550s in parallel in this video. Huge OT. Biggish PT. N
Choke.

I've since put some el34s in this amp and think it sounds a bit nicer.

I had experimented with using the Trainwreck topology in this amp but wasn't a huge fan of it at the time since I wouldnt be able to have all my switching options to make it every different kind of Marshall any more :lol:

I have dozens of videos of this thing through its life cycle on my channel to gander over but nothing with really great audio; Im too lazy to mic it up.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I built something still not sure years ago based on ideas TAG members were posting.

It doesn't sound great at all, needs to be re-engineered.

Mark
TW DLM SE 002.JPG
TW DLM SE 004.JPG
TW DLM SE 005.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.