First Rocket build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

studiodunn

First Rocket build

Post by studiodunn »

Just wanted to share my first rocket build that quarantine has gifted me the time to work on. I've got a nice 1x12 loaded with a Gold waiting for this amp.

Pretty straight forward with Classictone TW iron and a 10h/100mA/210 ohm choke I had on hand. I'm not sure what this choke will or won't do for the build since it has roughly half the suggested resistance, but I had it so it got bolted down.
I'm going to put the 2nd cathode bypass cap on a relay/foot switch and try out some VVR, MV...volume tamers. I have never liked any "MV" types in any Wreck amps I've owned, but I figured in a by-passable situation I would give it a go.

My only real hang up is not being able to get my face plate cut, but that's easy enough to put on later. The pilot light is the only un-soldering that will have to take place. I also forgot my fuse hole in the bottom :(
IMG_7577.jpg
IMG_7578.jpg
IMG_7579.jpg
IMG_7582.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bmx

Re: First Rocket build

Post by bmx »

Nice man! Inspiring! 8)
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

:D
Last edited by studiodunn on Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

bmx wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:10 am Nice man! Inspiring! 8)
Thanks.
I realized I wasn’t going to be seeing my faceplate maker soon so I had to move on.

I love etching aluminum....and hate doing it.
Lots of prep and work for a very unpredictable result. Don’t get me wrong. When it works it is my favorite finish on metal. It’s detailed, industrial and has longevity that painting doesn’t. There is also a danger and risk to etching that probably factors into the appeal, but let’s focus on the process that may change my Mind here

I have typically printed a transfer and put it on the surface via a iron and lots of prayer. I have done the process 2 days in a row with completely opposite results. Same metal, same acid, same everything and yet one good and the next crap. The there is the left over toxic slurry from a pan of muriatic acid that totally let me down in the process.

Thanks to my 11 year old I was made aware of the usefulness of my Wife’s Cricut that sees just enough action every year to warrant its storage needs.....barely.

Design, cricut, put on metal and brush on acid.
I ended up using a fraction of the acid and got a really clean result. Seriously, a 180 from previous Fx pedal jobs. Next time I’m etching the chassis, no face plate needed.
IMG_7609.jpg
IMG_7613.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnny riff

Post by johnny riff »

Nice! that looks cool. is this intended for a combo?
tubes coming out the back.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Love the bird motif! Looks killer. Well done!
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

johnny riff wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:51 pm Nice! that looks cool. is this intended for a combo?
tubes coming out the back.
Thanks.
Yes, this is going in a combo.
Colossal wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:18 pm Love the bird motif! Looks killer. Well done!
Thanks Dave! I was trying to get a creepy Poe/Raven thing going, but of all things - my etch was too clean :roll: I usually have fair amount of pitting that makes for a dirtier look. Irony is a real B sometimes.

I have sweet black cab to throw it in ;)
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Beautiful build, enjoy this tone machine.

Ange
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

The PPIMV woks pretty well on this amp. What no reverb! Super craftsmanship.

Cheers
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

angelodp wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:57 pm The PPIMV woks pretty well on this amp. What no reverb! Super craftsmanship.

Cheers
Thanks!
I actually put a Pre-PIMV in and am really happy with the result. It doesn't seem to be robbing too much of the feel from the amp which is my complaint about a MV in any wreck style I've owned or built.
Reverb was on my radar, but I can live with it in front/from a pedal for the amount I use.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The Rocket is not an Express, it's pretty much a stripped-down AC30.
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

Amp is boxed and sounds great IMO. Very thick and round tone that just screams play a country riff on me.

For the Boost I ended up going ahead and wiring in the unused half of V1 with this "high-gain" schematic I lifted from the forum. I can't remember where or who, but thank you to them.The amp had gobs of clean headroom and was as expected, very loud. The boost gets it into a nice mid gain place without getting buzzy or thin sounding. I had to move some things around on the board to make room, but it all worked out. I'm waiting for relay kit and switched 1m pot from Mojotone and I will have the boost on a foot switch and occupy the same holes on the face.

As always, thanks for the help and patience.
IMG_7644.jpg
IMG_7647.jpg
IMG_7643.jpg
IMG_7642.jpg
IMG_7638.jpg
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Hey, that looks great! That Celestion Gold is killer too!
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

Colossal wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:51 am Hey, that looks great! That Celestion Gold is killer too!
Thanks Dave!

I have other speakers to try, but the gold is REALLY good In this amp. Chime, grind and a nice tight bass will have it getting a good run in this config.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Your Rocket combo looks good.

By the way that boost doesn't need a relay. I have installed the boost in many Rockets using just a standard Marshall single button switch.
In fact you can add the capacitor right on the pedal jack to ground.

Rockets take pedals very well and I never had a problem with reverbs or distortion pedals through the input jack of any of my Rocket builds.

Mark