First Rocket build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

studiodunn

Re: First Rocket build

Post by studiodunn »

M Fowler wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:25 pm Your Rocket combo looks good.

By the way that boost doesn't need a relay. I have installed the boost in many Rockets using just a standard Marshall single button switch.
In fact you can add the capacitor right on the pedal jack to ground.

Rockets take pedals very well and I never had a problem with reverbs or distortion pedals through the input jack of any of my Rocket builds.

Mark
Thanks Mark.

So I assume there is a way to just shunt the boost portion?
HG rocket.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Mr. Dunn, I think Mark is referring to the Rocket Boost function as lifting the cathode bypass cap on the second stage only, not bypassing the second stage completely. But I will let him clarify. The original Rocket did not have a bypassed cathode on the second stage.
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

Colossal wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:07 pm Mr. Dunn, I think Mark is referring to the Rocket Boost function as lifting the cathode bypass cap on the second stage only, not bypassing the second stage completely. But I will let him clarify. The original Rocket did not have a bypassed cathode on the second stage.
Ahhh, thanks. The bypassed cathode was my original intention but now I'm into a 2 channel approach.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Thanks Dave (colossal),

That indeed was what I was referring to the cathode cap lift.

Mark
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

M Fowler wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:03 pm Thanks Dave (colossal),

That indeed was what I was referring to the cathode cap lift.

Mark
I might actually go with this approach for a boost depending on my ability to get the "channels" volumes to be close enough to work. Bypassing the cathode is a perfect jump in dBs and grit, so I may just add that to the foot switch regardless.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

On some amps to give it more options I will use a DPDT mini toggle switch (center off) and put 10uf down and 25uf up for the first cathode bypass cap.

For the 2nd bypass cap I use foot switch with 25uf/25v bypass cap.

For bright switch I like to use DPDT (center off) up 500pf and down 220-250pf. 100pf just never does much for me as brightness.

Mark
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

M Fowler wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:34 pm On some amps to give it more options I will use a DPDT mini toggle switch (center off) and put 10uf down and 25uf up for the first cathode bypass cap.

For the 2nd bypass cap I use foot switch with 25uf/25v bypass cap.

For bright switch I like to use DPDT (center off) up 500pf and down 220-250pf. 100pf just never does much for me as brightness.

Mark
Thanks Mark.

So at this point I am looking like this:
V1a is stock 220k - 1.5/25u
V1b is wired in as my 2nd channel like the schematic I posted - 100k - 2.7/.68u. I did not use the bleed cap on the Gain pot and I ended up running a 47k from the boost input to ground to tame the overall temperament of the "boost"
V2a is 100k - 1.5/ 1u. The byapass cap is wired in as a boost that will work on either channel. I was running out of real-estate, so i expect some hand burns when unplugging the FS after power down.... :shock:

I'm still waiting on a relay for the channel switching which will go on the face.....where it says boost :roll:
IMG_7708.jpg
IMG_7707.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

Who doesn't love a poor quality demo? I swear i have plans to actually use a mic and demo a build some day...

Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Excellent! The clarity in clean mode is really nice. Very gainy in Boost mode too. What speaker are you using?
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

Colossal wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:56 pm Excellent! The clarity in clean mode is really nice. Very gainy in Boost mode too. What speaker are you using?
Thank you sir! Amp is loaded with a ET65 at the moment. I went through about 5 speakers before landing on the ET. The amp sounded good with them all in their own way, but it came down to a Gold Alnico and the ET65 and the gold was just a little too bright for this build. This is a really great circuit and I could easily use it and pedals to do all but high gain chug type of stuff.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

studiodunn wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:15 pm
Colossal wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:56 pm Excellent! The clarity in clean mode is really nice. Very gainy in Boost mode too. What speaker are you using?
Thank you sir! Amp is loaded with a ET65 at the moment. I went through about 5 speakers before landing on the ET. The amp sounded good with them all in their own way, but it came down to a Gold Alnico and the ET65 and the gold was just a little too bright for this build. This is a really great circuit and I could easily use it and pedals to do all but high gain chug type of stuff.
That's interesting about the Gold. Was it well broken in? Your demo sounds really good though. I love the clarity!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Sounds great.

I like the WGS Veteran 30 but some of my locals like the Celestion Alnico Gold.

Mark
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

M Fowler wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:03 am Sounds great.

I like the WGS Veteran 30 but some of my locals like the Celestion Alnico Gold.

Mark
Thank you. I really liked the Gold as well and did demo a V30, but the ET65 just had the right amount of smooth and grind to it for this build to my ear. I landed on the speaker that sounded great with the EQ at noon, but like I said, the amp sounded good with allot of options.
Mark

Post by Mark »

The boost really changes things. It’s a very different amp, the PPIMV is a good thing on these amps and AC-30’s in general.

My Rocket is a clean machine, it sounds good when driven, but I rarely turn it up so it is clipping.

Did you try the Ken Fischer mod and using a 500pF cap instead of the 50pF treble cap?

I’d want to switch between those values.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

Mark wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:49 am The boost really changes things. It’s a very different amp, the PPIMV is a good thing on these amps and AC-30’s in general.

My Rocket is a clean machine, it sounds good when driven, but I rarely turn it up so it is clipping.

Did you try the Ken Fischer mod and using a 500pF cap instead of the 50pF treble cap?

I’d want to switch between those values.
I believe I used the 50pf. I'll have to go back and look, but I don't think I would need anymore treble in this one.