Liverpool to Rocket?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

plook

Liverpool to Rocket?

Post by plook »

I built a Liverpool about 8 years ago but it’s never really had much gain/crunch, even added a VVR2 which didn’t produce much gain at lower volume. I’m thinking of reworking the Liverpool to a Rocket. Would the transformers be the same and do you think this would pride a crunchier amp. I have always been blown away by this and wished I chose the Rocket to build

https://youtu.be/_lLcL13Z1FQ

That is the tone I want as my Liverpool is nothing like that. I added VVR2 because I developed tinnitus 😢, after someone tried my Liverpool on full volume with me in the room.
M Fowler

Re: Liverpool to Rocket?

Post by M Fowler »

The Liverpool has a bunch of gain and the Rocket is tame and a great amp as well.

I would remove the VVR and make sure the wiring for the Liverpool is correct and sell if that's not your thing.

The Rocket is a sweet mellow amp and can take pedals all day long so to get your gain use pedals.

Mark
hitchcaster

Post by hitchcaster »

your liverpool has never worked right.. you can rip out all the mods you did and get it stock and try and get it working..
or.. you can put it in the closet for a rainy day and do another amp, rocket.. and build it stock and get all the right parts like pacific transformers.
at some point you should get your liverpool working and then you can decide if you like it.. if you don't like it, its probably because its too high gain or you don't like el84's. or you used the wrong iron.
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

I finished my Liverpool last week and, it has too much gain. I didn’t think I would ever say that but
It sounds awesome on 2 and my guitars on 3 or so, but anything after that ....whoa...

I have some work to do on it, I put In a MV but it sucks...it’s ok on my attenuator but I still need to tweak it.

Like Mark says, the Rocket is very tame compared to the Liverpool.

You should look over your build again.
Good luck.
Mark

Post by Mark »

The differences between the Liverpool and the Rocket are solidstate rectification versus valve, different output transformer Dynaco A470 style versus the Pacific/Stancor output transformer, the Rocket uses a choke too. The Rocket can break up with a Les Paul, but I most like it's clean tones.

The Liverpool amp should have a stack of gain. What circuit are you using?
I like using an 0.0047uF and a 68K resistor prior to the cold clipper stage. To my ear that is the right amount of crazy.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott