Would you like see this board expand the discussion?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Would you like see this board expand the discussion beyond Trainwreck amps?

Yes, let's talk about Marshalls, Fenders, Dumbles, etc.
62%
No, let's keep the discussion limited to Ken's amps
38%

Total votes: 42

Omar

Re: Would you like see this board expand the discussion?

Post by Omar »

It looks like things are still up in the air about whether we should expand the discussion. Keep the votes and comments coming. If we do decide to expand the discussion to Dumbles, I'm leaning toward creating a separate discussion forum. Let me know what you think.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
HiGain

Post by HiGain »

Well, I voted to expand. I suspect that the feel, dedication, insight, and enthusiasm that has made the wrecks doable would do the same for the other amp.

However, I like your idea to have a separate forum in order to keep the focus here.

Jake
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

I think that keeping the focus on the rare and hard to find amps would be much more fun and interesting than opening it up to generic pieces like fenders and marshalls. Maybe stick with the 2, but keep them separate for sure.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Bear

Post by Bear »

Well, I don't see anyone shouting stuff down when other amps are discussded because "that's off topic!" So I think the discussion is already open. But yes, this would just be another general interest amp board if things went too far.

One thought might be to add a section where TW principles are applied to other amps or to new designs. So the original forum would be about chasing Ken's legacy, the new place about new ideas like the single ended TW derivative in the Files section.

I'm not adverse to Dumbell discussion, but I'm not a Carlton or Robben fan, so I'm not flipping out about talking about them.

I'm not voting, since I'm not sure either option tracks to my feel of things.

Bear
Robert

Post by Robert »

I think it would be wise to keep the two amp discussions seperate since the Dumble forum will attract many people and expand to include discussion regarding Two Rocks, Fuchs, and the other commercial Dumble clones. That kind of attention would overwhelm the few of us already interested in the Twrecks. Aside from the many good reasons to create a Dumble forum, it would be unfortunate if expanding to include it would harm this forum and I will regret having suggested the idea. It has really been exciting to participate with this forum as it has produced 3 publicly available confirmed schematics for the Express as well as some great videos from guitarpeeker of the capabilities of the Express. It would be just as fun to do the same for the Dumbles.

Robert
oldmacman

Post by oldmacman »

I would love to have a forum to discuss Dumbles.

I've built a couple of clones, and frankly, they're the best amps that I've ever played.

Right now, there is a limited amount of Dumble info out there on the Internet, enough to build a good sounding amp, but not enough to really get it right. The basic topology is there. It's just the tweaks and values that are different, and those differ from amp to amp.

I can't stand the secrecy that surrounds those amps. For whatever reason, the people who have the information tend to keep it to themselves. A couple of guys have been kind enough to give me some info, but everything I've received has come with the caveat that it not be shared.
KennedyBlvd

Post by KennedyBlvd »

Not new to amps by any means but new here.

Having been part of the "vintage" motorcycle scene for years I can tell you what happens sooner or later... all the '62 Gold Stars have been bought up by those who can afford them and anything you can say about a '62 Gold Star has already been said. SURE there are folks who look at them with covetous envy but they'll never own one...

So it goes with rare amps. Yes you can clone them, then the discussion turns to which one is the most accurate clone. BORE-ING!

SO invite in the Dumbles, invite in Soldanos, invite in anything else cool you can think of. Shucks, let's build a couple Kelly FACS clones while we're at it! Let's de-construct an Egnater. Let's even rip up a couple modules from that modular Randall that's supposed to be the Swiss Army knife of amps, yeah I know, it ISN'T but research is research!

Funny that you see the 'Wreck as a tweaked Fender. God help me but I had my fingers in a JTM45 in around '79 or '80 trying to find a bad-ass rock tone. I cascaded the channels. I omitted the cathode follower because it seemed to be a waste of a good 12AX7 stage. I wired solid state diodes across the rectifier socket because twenty-five cents worth of diodes made more sense to me (more reliable) than a relatively rare British tube at the time. Any of this sound familiar?

-IF- the name of the game is "The Ultimate Clone" then Fenders and Marshalls don't make sense. On the other hand a repro Marshall chassis makes an excellent platform for a 'Wreck clone, if you're not inclined to roll up your sleeves and fabricate a chassis it makes sense to use what you can get. I'd like to see a repro '60s or '70s Bassman chassis even if the control locations weren't drilled or punched, as much as many people resent Randall Smith it would make a great platform for a Booger Mark I. Or a Dumble. Or a 'Wreck with room for "fiddling"!
Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz »

I dont know about Marshalls Fenders etc... Plexi Palace and Metro cover Marshalls about as well as can be done. Maybe too good :) Same with Fenders adn Vox's etc.. The only reason I vote yes is because Dumble and TrainWreck are sorta always mentioned in the same breath. Theyre like twins though they dont sound alike. Eccentric ellusive builders. Mythical tone and voodoo circuits. Rare and rediculously priced on the collectors market. And they both draw the snobby tone aristocrats out (not here :) ). I wouldnt vote yes for any other amp here though.
Dan
Noel Grassy

Broaden the boards discussion

Post by Noel Grassy »

I'm new here but I've read every threadgoing back to Jan 2005 and I feel that a single topic serves the DIY folks best. There's a board for all the others and you folks have hashed out some beautiful tone quest concerns here. Don't muck with this delightful thing! hust my 2scents[PU] wurf. Thankyou for The TWreck Page! yer pal, Daevid :idea:
All excellent things are as difficult as they are rare__B Spinoza