Would you like see this board expand the discussion?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Would you like see this board expand the discussion beyond Trainwreck amps?

Yes, let's talk about Marshalls, Fenders, Dumbles, etc.
62%
No, let's keep the discussion limited to Ken's amps
38%

Total votes: 42

HeeBGB
Site Admin

Re: Would you like see this board expand the discussion?

Post by HeeBGB »

908ssp wrote: I know you guys like to think that Ken approves of your hobby and therefore it is ok to clone his amps.
This is not meant as a flame. Just a statement of fact.

I have it documented in a letter from the man himself. he doesn't have a problem with people cloning his amps for personal use. "As long as they are not sold as such" I believe were his words. The problem some people had were with the pics of Francesca. His comments about those were I believe "I wish someone would have asked first but it is to be expected" or something to that effect.

In the case of HAD I believe you are correct in that he will try to shut us down BUT that is still conjecture at this point. I don't know of anyone (That's not saying much) that has had direct contact with HAD or his lawyers. I guess if we go that route we will just have to wait and see!

If our info is not dead on then he really can't say anything because it would be a different amp?
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Mr Dumble has nothing to complain about. No one is using his trademark. If he has patents on his amp designs, I'd like to see them. Without patents, he has no right to restrict use. I've never seen a schematic with a copyright notice on it. If there is one, I'd like to see it.
Dumble barely modified a Fender design. He didn't use any special tube circuit, like you see in hi-fi - it's just double up and tweak. The outcome was impressive, but there's nothing unique in the design. And I don't care what he thinks of cloners any more than I care what Jimmy Page thinks about me copping his licks. Especially, as in the Dumble case, Jimmy stole his stuff from those who came before him.
I wouldn't sell an amp with Dumble on the faceplate. Beyond that, I don't see a problem. Once you put your stuff out there in the world, people will build on it. That's how we get ahead. Leo did, Jim did, Dumble did, and the rest of us do.

Back to amp building.
Last edited by MarkB on Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

Mr Patent (Aka: Randall Smith) and Mr Dumble might be close friends.
BlueDragon

Post by BlueDragon »

I don´t know what do you mean with Dunble ! Sorry my ignorance, what´s that ?
I think that will be interesting oppening discussions to other amps only only if they don´t have an existing forum already, Marshall and Fender already have their forums !
Learning every day ...
Doug H

Post by Doug H »

I like it focused on Wrecks. This is the best site on the internet for this sort of info. I'd rather not see it drift. I can go to other sites to discuss other amps.

Doug
goodtone77

Post by goodtone77 »

i just recieved my chassis for my wreck and d clone. I am going to be asking questions on the wreck and it would be nice to do the same on the dumble
toddyjoe

Post by toddyjoe »

While a Dumble forum would be interesting, I find that the Robben Ford, Larry Carlton and Steve Kimock forums get enough Dumble content for me every now and then. When you put Trainwreck fans next to Dumble fans, it seems somebody starts a comparison thread which inevitably causes an ugly fight to break out. This happens on The Gear Page forums from time to time. I am voting no for now but I am open to suggestion and persuasion. :)
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

toddyjoe wrote:While a Dumble forum would be interesting, I find that the Robben Ford, Larry Carlton and Steve Kimock forums get enough Dumble content for me every now and then. When you put Trainwreck fans next to Dumble fans, it seems somebody starts a comparison thread which inevitably causes an ugly fight to break out. This happens on The Gear Page forums from time to time. I am voting no for now but I am open to suggestion and persuasion. :)

It shouldn't be too difficult to avoid Gear Page catfights. Do those guys build amps, or are they just fanboys?
macula56

Post by macula56 »

i voted yes, but i too would like to keep it down to wrecks and dumble types. and if mr. dumble does become agitated, perhaps you could offer him a guest spot on the forum. a nice tutorial on how to properly apply goop. jmac
doctord02

Post by doctord02 »

I voted no. I can get my fill of Dumble talk over at Ampage. If I want to talk Marshalls I can go to Plexi Palace or the Yahoo jtm45 group. If I want to talk 18Watt I can go to 18watt.com... Etc, etc. I'm afraid that the discussions will be less Wreck orientated...

I liked that this group was focused on just Ken's amps. Sure, we can deviate from just that as people build new variations, but I personally dont have any interest in the Dumble sound. It's almost like people stopped being excited about the Express once we got the photos and confirmed the schematics... Hell, we've been building the A1a schematic for years and essentially had it right all along... Yet we still tweek... I still have some 'wreck variation builds to do before I would consider other topologies.

[Oh and Omar, if you tried to reply to my email from last week, I havent seen it - that email account is temporarily broken. I'll respond once it's back up]
Bombay

No

Post by Bombay »

I say no to this but if it goes this way, please create another section for it so that the Wreck talk does not get lost in the other items.
MarkB

Re: No

Post by MarkB »

Bombay wrote:I say no to this but if it goes this way, please create another section for it so that the Wreck talk does not get lost in the other items.

How does Wreck talk get lost at the Twreck Page? It's not like the Dumble bullies would take over. Can't we all just get along?

:D
Bombay

Lost

Post by Bombay »

Just read the thread and see how the big guy(fat) made the whole thread turn rather quickly into his own thing. He consumed it. ;) I don't mean anything by the fat crack by the way. ;)

http://maximoaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=316
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Re: Lost

Post by HeeBGB »

Bombay wrote:Just read the thread and see how the big guy(fat) made the whole thread turn rather quickly into his own thing. He consumed it. ;) I don't mean anything by the fat crack by the way. ;)

http://maximoaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=316
nevermind
Omar

Post by Omar »

doctord02 wrote:Oh and Omar, if you tried to reply to my email from last week, I havent seen it - that email account is temporarily broken. I'll respond once it's back up
Doc
I sent a reply on 12/23. If you don't get it let me know and I'll resend it.

Omar
Last edited by Omar on Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tone by misadventure