Express tube socket location

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Koolaide

Express tube socket location

Post by Koolaide »

Hi all,
In process of laying out my Express build chassis. I have the template from the site. It seems that the 12AX7s are really close to the board. I have double checked the layout, and measured twice. From what I can tell the mount bolts are right even with the board. FYI this is the layout I am working off of
Trainwreck_Chassis.pdf
. To me it looks like the socket(s) centerline is 3/4 in off the edge of the mainboard. Are the sockets that close? I know placement of components is critical in this application.

Thanks for the help.
Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joeboo88

Re: Express tube socket location

Post by joeboo88 »

Hiya. Google “trainwreck express gut shots” you can see pictures and go from there. If your board isn’t to wide you should be good. Short wire runs are important to keep hiss low.
I think my board was 2 1/4 inches wide
Good luck..
Joe
Koolaide

Re: Express tube socket location

Post by Koolaide »

Thanks Joe,
I have a bunch of gut shots, and even a couple to scale. But I like the way you think. You are so right short wires are important to reduce noise. Just doing the preliminary layout, and they (the sockets) seem a little tighter than they look on the photos. It is hard even with scale photos, unless the photo is taken at a perfect straight on angle.

Thanks again,
Jim