stackocaps and transformer bolts question

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Koolaide

stackocaps and transformer bolts question

Post by Koolaide »

Hi all,
I am laying out the chassis on my express build. I have reviewed the available chassis docs and layouts, and searched the forum. I have all the parts and have done a mock up. I am having an issue with the transformer bolts interfering with the stack of filter caps.
I am considering putting the transformer bolt(s) head inside and mounting the caps over them, covering the bolt heads in silicone.
1. Should I be concerned about the bolts damaging the caps-wearing a hole...?
2. I have also considered moving the main board against the side of the chassis (on input end), and moving the power transformer as far right as possible.
3. Does anyone have a solution that I have missed?

All input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim
joeboo88

Re: stackocaps and transformer bolts question

Post by joeboo88 »

Hi Jim. Is your chassis the standard size for an Express? The stack should fit between the power tranny and the preamp board.
I used a 50/50 and a 40/20/20/20 cap cans on my newest Express.
You could also use a little board and some standoffs to hold the caps.
I don’t know how authentic you want to be.
The bells end of my PT faces the long way of the chassis. My OT faces front and back. There is room for the stack with the bolt holes
Good luck, let us know or take a picture
Joe
Koolaide

Post by Koolaide »

The chassis is a standard size. Just measured for bottom pan. 17 1/8 x 8 3/8. ???? I think the chassis layout (from files section here) is a little off for the centerline of my specific trans, and I need to shift it down to the end of the chassis. I'm going to the shop to have a look see. Perhaps I am trying to take the chassis layout a bit too literal.
wpaulvogel

Post by wpaulvogel »

On all of mine they fit with no interference but it’s really tight. I use fender washers and have to cut a portion of that 1 washer to clear the capacitor. The Philips head is inside the chassis and the nut is on the transformer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wpaulvogel

Post by wpaulvogel »

The washer I’m talking about is next to the standby switch. Here’s another amp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

The chassis layout was done with photogrammetry. It may not be 100% accurate but I found that its very similar to my findings when laying out drill placement for Ingrid.
Koolaide

Post by Koolaide »

Seems my issue has to do with the location of the PT holes.( Classic Tone Transformer.) I think I will use 1 or 2 counter sunk screws mounted form inside the chassis, and move on with the project.

Thanks all for your advice, and responses.