under board wiring-Express question.

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Koolaide

under board wiring-Express question.

Post by Koolaide »

Hi all, hope you are all safe and well.
I have started my Express build. Progress is slow, as I try to anticipate and overcome issues that come up. I am finding the process enjoyable.
I was wondering the thoughts on under board wires. Should they be tight to the board, or from the board down and tight to chassis? Does it even matter? From what I have read in a TW everything matters. :)
I am documenting the build with pics and comments, and hope to post a build thread once it is completed.
Thanks all for your input.
Jim
martin manning

Re: under board wiring-Express question.

Post by martin manning »

Tight to the board, and hook the jumper ends over the top of the eyelets they connect to so they won’t fall out if you have to reheat the joint.
Koolaide

Post by Koolaide »

Thanks Martin. I had seen the wire hooked over the top of the turret, somewhere, and discounted it. Now I am glad I asked the question. Thanks for the detailed answer.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Like this...

Koolaide

Post by Koolaide »

Thanks sluckey! a pic is worth a well ya know....
PS built an amp cradle based on your design. Simple and functional-thanks for sharing.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I glued my wires onto the board with epoxy. The logic was I didn't want the wires moving when soldering and I'd never have to replace the wires.

I made sure the wires crossed everything at 90 degrees where possible.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
lespaulnmarshall

Post by lespaulnmarshall »

sluckey wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:11 am Like this...

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I am just curious, when you use this method, do you solder the jumper from both sides of the turret or just the top side? I suppose you don't want to fill the turret completely with solder? At the same time, I also don't think you'd want to have two separate joints on one turret perhaps?

Thanks!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I only solder from the top. When I install the jumper I put just enough solder on the rim of the turret to hold the jumper in place. No solder inside at this time. It's hard to see any solder in that pic, but it's there. Once all the components leads are in the turret I partially fill the turret with solder. Never so much that solder runs out the bottom. Then finally I put a shiny little ball of solder on top of the turret just for looks. Here's a pic of the completed board...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lespaulnmarshall

Post by lespaulnmarshall »

sluckey wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:56 pm I only solder from the top. When I install the jumper I put just enough solder on the rim of the turret to hold the jumper in place. No solder inside at this time. It's hard to see any solder in that pic, but it's there. Once all the components leads are in the turret I partially fill the turret with solder. Never so much that solder runs out the bottom. Then finally I put a shiny little ball of solder on top of the turret just for looks. Here's a pic of the completed board...
Thanks Sluckey! Great answer, I appreciate it!
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

So I reckon, Steve, you are proponent of going under-board for the jumpers even on a Marshall style build (super lead)? Since they are B+ for the most part once they are in it's done. I was thinking on my build that if I went above board to use teflon thinner wire, but under-board seems cleaner.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I use only 24AWG buss wire for all jumpers. Some on top . Some on bottom. I like to hide the ugly long ones under the board. If the jumpers need insulation I just strip teflon insulating from 22AWG wire. You can look at the boards I've done on my website... http://sluckeyamps.com/docs.htm

Here's one example of mixed jumpers... http://sluckeyamps.com/phoenix/phoenix.pdf
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Steve, so the 24g bus wire, very interesting. Is that so the wire is extra light and not apt to move or sag once soldered in? 24g carrying B+? With your experience I am believer.

A
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

The main reason I use 24AWG is because I have two 5 pound spools! If I had that much 22AWG buss wire, that's what I'd be using. But 24AWG has sufficient ampacity for any board I've ever done.

24AWG is fine for board jumpers. It's as big as most of my component leads. If I have components that require larger gauge they will usually not be placed on board. Sagging is not a problem. 24AWG with teflon insulation is pretty stiff. And most of my jumpers are placed in a straight line and stretched tight so there's no extra wire to sag. Here's one exception to my straight line under board jumpers. See any sag?

angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Bueno, thanks.