Who still makes great hardwood cabs for Trainwreck amps?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Re: Who still makes great hardwood cabs for Trainwreck amps?

Post by Mark »

This was the advice I received about fixing the wood panel to the front panel:

"You can tighten them down. But for me, I do not rely on the pots for ground. I used a preamp ground bus bar and tie that to the input jack. The power amp (capacitor) grounds are tied to the chassis per the usual Trainwreck format."

How do others fit the wood panel to the front panel?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Distortion

Post by Distortion »

norburybrook wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:32 pm I've always wanted one of these cabs but shipping to the UK was $400.!!

I've still not found anyone to make me one here in the UK sadly.

M
Although I haven't posted much in the last few years I still have been busy building cabinets
Most of these have been going to high end players.
On top of that my day job has been quite busy.
But I am getting ready to retire and devote more of my time to the wood shop..
So you might see some of my stuff available in the not too distant future :D

Norburybrook
If someone was telling you shipping would be $400 they were looking to make a large profit on you.
I have shipped cabs all over the world and the best way to ship head cabs is by using the USPS.
I just checked and shipping costs to Great Britain are less than $150 by using Priority Mail International.
Shipping speaker cabs can be a different story because of their size, but head cabs are under the size restrictions.

I am attaching a few pictures of recent builds for anyone who is unaware of my work.

[https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/TbqzH ... authuser=0][/img]

Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Glad you are still around Larry!
Distortion

Post by Distortion »

Colossal wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:02 pm Glad you are still around Larry!

Me Too... :D
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

Mark, I ground my pots the traditional way. Buss bar on the back of the pots like ken did.
The problem that I have doing it this way is that with CTS pots (like Ken used some in latter builds) the threads are not long enough for 1/8" faceplate with a thin original spec chassis. Luckily I had a bunch of thin washers I saved from Pec pots. 1/8" faceplate and a beefy RJ chassis is likely going to need pec pots for the longer bushing.

Shipping out USA USPS wouldn't be bad -150$ but using UPS would be well over 300$.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Larry Mann cab if you haven't seen them. Also I couldn't see anything from the link. Hope this helps.
IMG_1422.JPG
IMG_1420.JPG
IMG_1421.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Mark

Post by Mark »

RockinRocket wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:09 am Mark, I ground my pots the traditional way. Buss bar on the back of the pots like ken did.
The problem that I have doing it this way is that with CTS pots (like Ken used some in latter builds) the threads are not long enough for 1/8" faceplate with a thin original spec chassis. Luckily I had a bunch of thin washers I saved from Pec pots. 1/8" faceplate and a beefy RJ chassis is likely going to need pec pots for the longer bushing.

Shipping out USA USPS wouldn't be bad -150$ but using UPS would be well over 300$.
I'm using mostly Clarostat pots which have been used in other builds and I think they should work out if he wooden panel is an 1/8".
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Yeah that's odd, they were visible initially and now are not?

At any rate, they are amazing looking builds!

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

Mark wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:20 am
RockinRocket wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:09 am Mark, I ground my pots the traditional way. Buss bar on the back of the pots like ken did.

I'm using mostly Clarostat pots which have been used in other builds and I think they should work out if he wooden panel is an 1/8".
Ya you'll be fine with those pots. I've seen maybe 12 guts of Kens builds but the only amp I've seen with the Clarostat pots was Dave Funks build but it only had a Clarostat for the Presence. I wonder how common these were?
Mark

Post by Mark »

I've written to Dave Funk about the builds he did. He said Ken Fischer supplied the parts and he built the amp. The only differences I see with using different S pots is quality and taper.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

Hey Mark,

Check out KW Cabs http://www.kwcabs.com/index.shtml

When I got divorced and no longer had a garage shop, I used Kurt to make my cabs. He does fantastic work and is pretty reasonable on pricing. Let him know I sent you if you contact him.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Agree with Marcus. Take your amp chassis to any local cabinet maker along with that picture of Mikey's product. See what can be done with local timber. Even if the guy is charging at the high end, it will be significantly (hundreds) less money than you'd pay after adding the shipping.

I found this: https://www.woodsolutions.com.au/wood-s ... _type_nid=
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the advice and links. Queensland Maple is beautiful. I never would have thought to use that.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Lcd43

Post by Lcd43 »

I just joined the community so I'm feeling things out. I am a woodworker and located in the US. I just built a Trainwreak cab for a fellow amp builder. Working on my second one now.
Cheers -Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R,i,c,k

Post by R,i,c,k »

[quote=Lcd43 post_id=415849 time=1597386258 user_id=21335]
I just joined the community so I'm feeling things out. I am a woodworker and located in the US. I just built a Trainwreak cab for a fellow amp builder. Working on my second one now.
Cheers -Chris
[/quote]

She's a beauty.

How did you fasten your miters?