Wreck into a 17-inch JTM-size chassis?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ViperDoc

Wreck into a 17-inch JTM-size chassis?

Post by ViperDoc »

I have a 17-inch, un-drilled, un-welded JTM-sized aluminum chassis I am considering for a Wreck build. Any problem hovering part of the power supply board over the open PT cutout, or is that verboten? It is 2 inches shorter than the spec chassis. I could custom order one, but I'd rather not.
Just plug it in, man.
xtian

Re: Wreck into a 17-inch JTM-size chassis?

Post by xtian »

I think I understand you. You certainly don't want people poking their fingers into that PT cutout, so you should patch over it with a snip of aluminum.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Thanks, xtian. The Trainwreck layout I’m looking at places the preamp board and power supply boards to the side of the PT chassis cutout such that there is nothing over the PT bell, and the OEM chassis spec is 19 inches long to allow that. If I use a 17 inch chassis, I figured I could slide the power supply board location over where the PT bell is, but it would overlap and bring the supply caps directly over the PT. I’ve seen Friedman amps do that, and I could also spec a standup PT to make more room. Maybe I’ll have to do that.
Just plug it in, man.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

This is like what I mean.
asteroid_layout_12_107_491.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just plug it in, man.
DaveMon

Post by DaveMon »

I did this before.....it was not fun......lots of shorting issues ......https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18094]

But nobody has ever seen this much power in such a small chassis!!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

DaveMon wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:44 am I did this before.....it was not fun......lots of shorting issues ......https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18094]

But nobody has ever seen this much power in such a small chassis!!
Dave,

What do you mean by shorting issues? No components should be shorting against the chassis. Are you just saying that it was very cramped to work in, or did you experience oscillation which was incurable, or both? A Trainwreck Express chassis is 17"L x 8"W x 2" high where the JTM45 chassis is 6.5" W, but with an extra 0.5" in height. Plenty of Express clones have been successfully built using cap cans.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I actually enjoy using Marshall blank open channel aluminum style 18W chassis for my Express combo builds.
The blank Marshall 17 x 6.5 x 2.5 chassis would work well too.

Mark
Express Combo No.2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

I've tentatively decided to have a custom chassis made for this amp. The depth of the JTM-style chassis is one concern, owing to the additional power supply height required for this amp. I've had trouble finding a custom chassis maker who will respond to email. I did get in touch with someone who makes what look like robust custom chassis', but with an L-bracket construction style. Any problem with this?
Assy 4.jpg
Just plug it in, man.
DaveMon

Post by DaveMon »

Sorry for delay....Yes, i felt it was very cramped ....the cap stacks were the toughest to position...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk