Love the AC30/Rocket sound, but how to get it at lower wattage?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

VintageCharlie

Love the AC30/Rocket sound, but how to get it at lower wattage?

Post by VintageCharlie »

Hi Folks,

i love the tones i get from an integrated top boost AC30 from 1963, but i want to build a Rocket style amp that is as close as possible to THAT tone, but in a compact and lightweight 2xEL84 package.
What is the best approach in order to maintain as much as possible from the 4x EL84 version? Should i stick with the bigger OT from the AC30/Rocket or maybe an RS Deluxe style OT, or would i be fine with an AC15 style OT? Would love too keep the really nice bass response and fullness that the AC30/Rocket has.
Volume is of no concern for my use - not bothered about the headroom. I'm aiming for the same tone, just in a smaller and lighter amp. I will mainly be using it with a reactive load and then feed it through the DI into my DAW.

Thanks!
Colossal

Re: Love the AC30/Rocket sound, but how to get it at lower wattage?

Post by Colossal »

If volume is not an issue, I can't see any advantage at all to building an 18W version of the amp. You certainly won't save any money for the most part either. The weight savings from 18W PT and OT vs. 30W is pretty small and where all of the weight is coming from. You add it right back again if you use an AC30 or Radiospares output transformer. You would still need a choke so you aren't saving any weight there. Build the full amp if you want the tone and response. You can reduce the footprint and build into a smaller chassis with careful planning.

That's my two cents anyway.
Roe

Post by Roe »

Larmar works well for this
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
2tone

Post by 2tone »

A post phase master volume with 250K dual pot will work surprisingly well for reducing volume and keeping response, but if you want real low volumes, all these types, and attenuators too don't cut it..
wpaulvogel

Post by wpaulvogel »

I have custom wound Pacific Transformers power and output transformers for Trainwreck style 2 x el84 version of Liverpool. The power transformer is 260-0-260 @ 200mA. 6.3 volt @ 6 amp. It makes 330 volts DC rectified. The output transformer is 20 watt 11k plate to plate with 4, 8 & 16 ohm taps if you’re interested. I’ll part with a set. No 5 volt winding for tube rectifier though.
VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie »

Thanks for the input guys! I found a suitable toroid transformer that weights 1.3kg and is 10cm in diameter. Will try that one out, as i fear that going with only 2xel84 will change the sound too much.