KF Modded Super Bass?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

HiGain

KF Modded Super Bass?

Post by HiGain »

Hi All,

Thought I'd share this. It's a schematic of a modified super bass that I was able to look in several years ago. I was told by the owner, who claimed to be the second owner of the amp, that KF had modified it to its current values. I have no way of determining the credibility, and some of the values seem odd. But I will say, the amp sounded wonderfully chimey, as well as smooth upon break up. I thought I took pictures, but cannot find them on my hard drive. I remember there being no signatures or anything of that nature in the amp. The whole thing may be a myth, but maybe you'll find it interesting.

Jake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2tone

Re: KF Modded Super Bass?

Post by 2tone »

Could be. Ken modded and worked on tons of Marshalls..
hitchcaster

Post by hitchcaster »

looks cool... find the photos!
Mark

Post by Mark »

The plate resistors on the first stage are very low at 22K. I'm wondering why the master volume was put into the amp when the gain would have been significantly reduced.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Those would be both typos and 220k.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
wpaulvogel

Post by wpaulvogel »

Yep, I’d say a 22k plate resistor on a 12ax7 might make it red plate if you could drive it hard enough and it would be in cutoff at idle. That’s got to be a typo and supposed to be 220k. Actually I don’t know what it would do but it wouldn’t operate correctly.
rooster

Post by rooster »

I think this is goofy. The Bass/Normal channel is not connected to V2. Why would Kenny do this? Replacing the 5.6K resistors with 1.5K on the power tubes seems a foolhardy idea considering the oscillation potential that typically exists in this amp. Likewise adding the cap to the cathode of V2 would create more gain, sure, but it's also further stripping what little bass that might still exist after the .0022 coupling cap. No way. I don't see Kenny's hand in this amp at all. It would sound better if returned to the stock circuit.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?