Clips of KT66 Rocket/Rockster builds?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

VintageCharlie

Clips of KT66 Rocket/Rockster builds?

Post by VintageCharlie »

Hi guys,

i've been reading great things on the big bottle Rocket builds, the KT66 version in particular, but it is almost impossible to find some clips from the builds. Most of the threads I found were older and the links to clips were broken.
I would appreciate, if you could point me into the right direction. In particular i am looking for some clips of the amp dimed with some humbucker equiped guitar, to see how it compresses and how different it is from the Rocket/AC30.

Thanks for any input!
VintageCharlie

Re: Clips of KT66 Rocket/Rockster builds?

Post by VintageCharlie »

Crickets? ;)
Still very much interested, in case some one has some clips.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Maybe Mark Fowler can weigh in on this. I know he has built big bottle Rockets. What is your target plate voltage and OT primary impedance for the KT66s?
VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie »

Colossal wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:50 pm Maybe Mark Fowler can weigh in on this. I know he has built big bottle Rockets. What is your target plate voltage and OT primary impedance for the KT66s?
I just posted a new thread as i just tested how an ac30 preamp sounds into a JTM45 power amp (stock so far). The injected signal was a bit too low, but on one setting (with mid control (which i added to my ac30 clone) cranked) the level seems to get roughly where it is supposed to and it seems like that is a killer combo!

So no idea what to expect - the JTM has 440v on the plates, stock fixed bias with NFB (i set presence on 0 though). The OT had a 3k4 primary though, as it is a JMP style OT. Here's a short clip of that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

VintageCharlie wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:55 pm I just posted a new thread as i just tested how an ac30 preamp sounds into a JTM45 power amp (stock so far). The injected signal was a bit too low, but on one setting (with mid control (which i added to my ac30 clone) cranked) the level seems to get roughly where it is supposed to and it seems like that is a killer combo!

So no idea what to expect - the JTM has 440v on the plates, stock fixed bias with NFB (i set presence on 0 though). The OT had a 3k4 primary though, as it is a JMP style OT. Here's a short clip of that.
Very nice!

You could certainly double the OT to 6k8 with the speaker trick to accommodate the KT66s at 440V.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

That sounds great! I really need to do an AC30 build some day.