Canadian Express build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

aceofbones

Re: Canadian Express build

Post by aceofbones »

Reeltarded wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:11 pm You don't have to be so nice, I mean Canada, so I get it.. but really..
:)
You did an amazing job, all counts.
Haha, sorry. I'll try to be more disrespectful next time. :)
The focus of the stock coupler will make the amp sour.. soar! I meant soar!
I'm intrigued, so I will try this out and report back. Cheers.
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

Reeltarded wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:11 pm The focus of the stock coupler will make the amp sour.. soar! I meant soar!
Well, I lifted one end of the 2n2. What a change! The level of bass I had dropped to a nicer level. I actually got to turn the bass knob up some. Everything just seemed more 'jangly', 'sparkly', if those are even accurate descriptions. It's interesting, building an amp as a new builder, with only mediocre sound clips to judge by. I prefered clips I found with the 2n2 in, but in person, I do not.
Thanks, Reeltarded, for the heads up!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

That rules!! This literally kept my Liverpool unused for almost 4 years.

The amp speaks now where it used to lose so much of it's living efficiency to a range that you try to cut, but can't with controls.

I think a lot of people standing around your shop smoking weed and talking about your great amps makes you imagine ideas long after you are done. Whiney bitches with strats playing at 3% rotation on the volume control.

No offense to whiney bitches with the volume cracked..

:D
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Reeltarded wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:44 pm Lift one end of that 2n2 and see if the amp doesn't sing a good bit better. It tubbed out my Liverpool and stopped mid sing A LOT.
Wait. Can we back this train up a bit?

Are we talking about that ceramic cap across V2a-V2b orange drop coupler cap (C8)?

I haven't seen a paralleled cap there before, it's not in the Kelly layout or schematic, is it? Without that extra cap, you can't lift the interstage coupler which is the only .0022uF in the amp so what am I missing?

IMG_0628a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

Reeltarded wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:54 am That rules!! This literally kept my Liverpool unused for almost 4 years.

The amp speaks now where it used to lose so much of it's living efficiency to a range that you try to cut, but can't with controls.

I think a lot of people standing around your shop smoking weed and talking about your great amps makes you imagine ideas long after you are done. Whiney bitches with strats playing at 3% rotation on the volume control.

No offense to whiney bitches with the volume cracked..

:D
Haha, I haven't even tried my Strat with this yet. The Strat and I don't get along. The 335 has been sounding so good I haven't bothered with anything else yet!
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

gktamps wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:18 pm
Reeltarded wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:44 pm Lift one end of that 2n2 and see if the amp doesn't sing a good bit better. It tubbed out my Liverpool and stopped mid sing A LOT.
Wait. Can we back this train up a bit?

Are we talking about that ceramic cap across V2a-V2b orange drop coupler cap (C8)?

I haven't seen a paralleled cap there before, it's not in the Kelly layout or schematic, is it? Without that extra cap, you can't lift the interstage coupler which is the only .0022uF in the amp so what am I missing?
Yes, that's the one. It was one of the Ingrid mods. Someone with more knowledge on this would have to comment on its original purpose. I played the amp right before I made the change, and then right after, and it was a considerable difference.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

OK, gotcha. Mine don't have that cap, but Miles' supposition makes sense (it was there for single-coil guitars, especially with volume down low).
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

YOU CAN LIFT THE ORANGE COUPLER!!

It really helps with hiss.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

But only if you have the ceramic cap in place, or the signal isn't moving down the train tracks. Mine only have the orange drop coupling cap.
617537ed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Oh wait.
You pullin' my leg!
:oops:
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

no no try it will kill most of the hiss and go lots easier on your output tubes! :)
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Hahaha
Last edited by gktamps on Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

No,you have to lift the whole coupling cap.. single.. a pair. It lowers the volume of your amp at least 100%.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Reeltarded wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:50 am No,you have to lift the whole coupling cap.. single.. a pair. It lowers the volume of your amp at least 100%.
I think this is the Can-I-Jam-With-Your-Band? Mod.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

It is the update I-Can-Jam-With-You-Anytime from the Tirn It Uph collection of also transformerless guitar amps.