About the ground of Mercury PT liverpool CT

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

fugezii

About the ground of Mercury PT liverpool CT

Post by fugezii »

Hello everyone. I am building liverpool use Mercury's TW-KF-PT, but there is a problem.

1. I want to use “Orange” 260V and “Green” 6.3v HT. Should “Red/Orng ”and “Grn/Yel” be grounded?

Mercury has specifically left a tag on the center tap (according to their wiring diagram it's the CT of the 6.3v heaters) of the PT saying that "if the center tap is not shown in the amplifiers schematic, then it must be left out, a short circuit may occur if it is connected to ground or to a voltage bearing connection"

Thank you

Colossal

Re: About the ground of Mercury PT liverpool CT

Post by Colossal »

Yes, ground Red/Orange (AC high voltage secondrary centertap) if you are using a standard full wave rectifier. The full wave is what is used on the Liverpool. Similarly, as you won't be using a tube recitifer, cap off the 5VAC leads and secure them. They can also be repurposed to provide power for a pilot light or relays, if your build will be non-traditional or have extra functionality.

Leave Red/Red floating. Cap the leads, heatshrink, coil, and then zip tie them up. Or cut them down as needed, cap and heatshrink.

Yes, ground Green/Yellow. The Liverpool utilizes a grounded heater filament center tap arrangement, not the artificially centertapped 100R/100R approach seen in most Fender amps.

Great transformer. Voltages are right on the mark. I've built several Trainwreck type amps with it.
fugezii

Re: About the ground of Mercury PT liverpool CT

Post by fugezii »

Thank you, Colossal. I will follow the method you said :D