Where to find Trainwreck Logos?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Vince-

Re: Where to find Trainwreck Logos?

Post by Vince- »

I picked up some badges. More ethan I'll need but ordering fewer would have been the same cost.

Turns out due to copyright issiues I won't be using or selling these.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Vince- on Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vince-

Post by Vince- »

Some had some smudging upon closer inspection.. the company is going to make another batch for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Vince- on Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vince-

Post by Vince- »

dorrisant wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:31 pm Would it be sacrilege if I were to make available the artwork and/or the actual badges that would be a custom take on the original Wreck badges? Examples like those mentioned above.

I see the void that needs to be filled. How much would have to be changed to appease most (probably never all)?

The original logo could be used as a sizing and spacing template to make customized logos.

There are plenty here who have D-style amps that have authentic looking logos, etc., but there is something there to let you know that it is a clone. If it looks like someone is creating a exact replica, they are gonna get a load of negative responses. Don't get me wrong... I agree. I would never replicate to the degree that an amp (or other device) could be misconstrued as a fake.

Having an accessible alternative may encourage people to take the high road.

Then again, Ken's family may frown upon this as well.

Any thoughts?
I'm building at least one wreck for myself. And a trainwreck badge was.going on it but since there's copyright issiues I won't be bothering. And I won't be selling any.
Mullardnerd

Post by Mullardnerd »

Vince- wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:21 pm Some had some smudging upon closer inspection.. the company is going to make another batch for me.
That looks really good :shock: . I'd love to have one for my clone. Are they 3d printed on pickguard material ?
Vince-

Post by Vince- »

Hey there. I'm actually.not selling them anymore. I thought trainwreck was a defunct company but appearantly it isn't. So there's basically trademark issiues.
Thanks for the interest tho.
Mullardnerd

Post by Mullardnerd »

Damn..Ok I guess that makes sense..
It's funny , I heard that a guy was still making wrecks and I looked up the web page. It looked like a 20 year old page which seemed strange, knowing how prestigious an amp they are.. I enquired about having one built and no one ever got back to me.. I thought they are either out of buisness or they couldn't be bothered replying to my email. Either way I wasn't all that impressed tbh..
I decided I was going to have one built by a freind. I really think they are quite an ugly amp haha but I'd want it to look right if I have one. To me they look worse without a logo. Like a high-school shop project hahah.
I think I'll find someone with a 3D printer ..
Vince-

Post by Vince- »

I agree , they just don't look right without the logo. I've built fenders and marshalls and you can easily find logos for them . It doesn't seem to a big deal, but whoever has the rights to trainwreck probably are a relatively small buisness and want to 'protect ' the trademark. I also was under the impression that trainwreck were no longer in buisness... I checked out the web page, and yes it looks kind of diy. I enquired last year about current pricing and never heard back so I figured they weren't in operation.. my guess is it's a one man operation and emails don't get checked...?
I'm pretty sure they're ridiculously priced anyway lol, so if you know a builder... to me its a no brainer. I think I enjoy building as much as playing anyway.
A funny thing about the web page is there's a section kind of bad mouthing clones .. kind of cringe... I rolled my eyes...
Ken seemed like a bit of a prankster and would tell people BS to get them going, all in fun i assume. Things like red wire sounds best etc. Lol..
There's no mojo in amps . It's science and for the web page to say no one can build one properly so pay me 5k, we'll, that's just plain insulting..
I might still buy one if i had money to burn though! Lol. I bet they hold thier value..
Mullardnerd

Post by Mullardnerd »

Yep , we think alike . I have a great admiration for Ken . And the amps sound amazing. At least on YouTube haha.
I just.got the feeling I was being ignored. And if they have the attitude that "if you need the price , you.cant afford it" then I'll have someone that I respect, build me one.
What's really sad is that Ken didn't make.m much money in his lifetime, and suffered with a debilitating disease. And now someone else owns the brand and soaks people.
My buddy is quite confident he can build a good one. And like you , he says there's so mystique or mojo , and to ignore the hype.
I'm patiently awaiting my trainwreck...
Maybe patiently is the wrong word hahah
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

There is mojo to those amps, but it doesn't reside in the badge. You must lay them out correctly and most likely have to tweak the wiring to get the goods out of it, particularly, the tone stack wiring. Many people can throw the parts together but that doesn't mean it will sound like a real Trainwreck.

And it is not just that someone else owns Trainwreck, it is his family that owns it. Although I do not think that they have carried on Ken's tradition, he probably had something to do with them owning it. So part of it is respecting Ken's wishes.

All of this info is here on TAG if you dig for it.

Also, it is not "soaking" people if they are happy with what they pay for. The current builder does a fantastic job of recreating Ken's mojo. Also, here on TAG if you dig.

As a homework assignment, you should locate all the pics of the original wrecks here on TAG and compare them to other's builds. See if you notice the similarities when people have dialed one I compared to the originals. Those who do not find the mojo usually have something different about them that makes them this way.

Here, I'll throw this one out there... And yes, it has the mojo in spades, as long as the MV is all the way up. Notice there is a tasteful homage to Trainwreck on it but no authentic badge is needed.

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=454076
Last edited by dorrisant on Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
dblgun

Post by dblgun »

I agree that Kens amps had an abundance of mojo. All that I have heard have been fine sounding amps but a few really stand out to me as what I look for in a Trainwreck. They may not be the examples that are others favorites. Ken built amps for many individuals with the intention of it being an amp voiced to their desires. There are/were many variables in the various builds that Ken did over the years. Good luck with the amp you're having built, I hope it's everything you're after.
Mark

Post by Mark »

dblgun wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:07 pm I agree that Kens amps had an abundance of mojo. All that I have heard have been fine sounding amps but a few really stand out to me as what I look for in a Trainwreck. They may not be the examples that are others favorites. Ken built amps for many individuals with the intention of it being an amp voiced to their desires. There are/were many variables in the various builds that Ken did over the years. Good luck with the amp you're having built, I hope it's everything you're after.
What variables in the circuit?

The amps are almost identical circuit wise.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Mark

Post by Mark »

dorrisant wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:44 pm There is mojo to those amps, but it doesn't reside in the badge. You must lay them out correctly and most likely have to tweak the wiring to get the goods out of it, particularly, the tone stack wiring.
The wires from the tone control caps is almost directly wired to the pots. I would have thought the wire from the wiper of the volume pot would be your chief concern. You also have the bright caps attached to volume control.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
dblgun

Post by dblgun »

Mark wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:07 am
dblgun wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:07 pm I agree that Kens amps had an abundance of mojo. All that I have heard have been fine sounding amps but a few really stand out to me as what I look for in a Trainwreck. They may not be the examples that are others favorites. Ken built amps for many individuals with the intention of it being an amp voiced to their desires. There are/were many variables in the various builds that Ken did over the years. Good luck with the amp you're having built, I hope it's everything you're after.

Like you said, almost identical circuit wise. Variables such as, resistor/capacitor additions/value variations, transformer variants, pot values/tapers, presence circuit variations, filtering, tubes and various layout and material changes. Seemingly very minor tweaks that suited Kens ear prior to him shipping the amp.
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

dblgun wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:19 pm
Mark wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:07 am

Like you said, almost identical circuit wise. Variables such as, resistor/capacitor additions/value variations, transformer variants, pot values/tapers, presence circuit variations, filtering, tubes and various layout and material changes. Seemingly very minor tweaks that suited Kens ear prior to him shipping the amp.
I'm gunna have to disagree with you on this one. I've seen about 10 or more and the only variables that are visually noticeable would be the double .0022 coupling cap and the 4k7 on the presence control. Seen that combo on two amps Ingrid and Malou (didnt Dave funk build that one?) Sure some amps had amperex or mullards and who knows if those are still original to what Ken put in there. Both great sounding (and similar) tubes. Some parts changed likely due to what the local electronics stor had at the time. Not sure Id agree with you on filtering, transformer variants and layout changes. Pot values tapers we may never know.
Last edited by RockinRocket on Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

Double post