Rocket build..

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

wag_mfst

Rocket build..

Post by wag_mfst »

Hi guys,

I may have the build bug again and the stars have aligned on a Rocket build this time I think. My favourite amp by far is my AC30 (actually an AC40) that was one of the last TB AC30's Dick Denney ever built. He repaired and built amps for local musicians around the Rye area from his home in Winchelsea when he retired and my friends father bought this from him in the early/mid 70's. It sounds absolutely glorious but I rarely play it for a number of reasons including it is big and very heavy, much too loud, probably overdue a service and i'm not messing with it to fit an attenuator or even unsolder the silver alnicos to use my Cab Clone as the last hands that touched its guts were his, it just obviously hasn't been touched.. So in my quest for a higher headroom 30-40w build I was briefly toying with the idea of a JTM-45 with KT66's but soon began looking at AC30 heads and that rabbit hole has eventually led me to the Rocket. (I have also been fascinated by Ken and Trainwreck for a long time btw). I have a a few amp builds, Doug Hammonds Firefly, Ampmaker 18watt and Dave Hunters 2 Stroke (sort of 5F2A) under my belt and with a selection of 10" and 12" Cabs, home made attenuators and a Mesa Cab Clone another head would make much more sense for me nowadays.

I don't know whether to source the parts piecemeal like I did with the 2 Stroke or buy a kit like I did with the 18watt which was obviously easier. I have seen a Rocket kit here in the UK. https://modulusamplification.com/Wrocke ... 68809.aspx but looking at the layout it differs from others I have seen (including the one here) with fewer (3) filter caps and 2 big (16uf 500v) caps in the preamp section which seems weird. Can't find any reviews on this specific kit but have seen good things written about the Modulus guy in general.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Wag
Schmirleroo

Re: Rocket build..

Post by Schmirleroo »

I dealt with Michael from Modulus for years. The guy and his products are top notch. His layout does not follow the TW style but the sound is very similar. If your going for sound you can trust in his designs. If you're going for style then you can easily mod his designs by doing up your own board. Hope this helps.
wag_mfst

Post by wag_mfst »

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

wag_mfst wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:51 am Hi guys,

I may have the build bug again and the stars have aligned on a Rocket build this time I think. My favourite amp by far is my AC30 (actually an AC40) that was one of the last TB AC30's Dick Denney ever built. He repaired and built amps for local musicians around the Rye area from his home in Winchelsea when he retired and my friends father bought this from him in the early/mid 70's. It sounds absolutely glorious but I rarely play it for a number of reasons including it is big and very heavy, much too loud, probably overdue a service and i'm not messing with it to fit an attenuator or even unsolder the silver alnicos to use my Cab Clone as the last hands that touched its guts were his, it just obviously hasn't been touched.. So in my quest for a higher headroom 30-40w build I was briefly toying with the idea of a JTM-45 with KT66's but soon began looking at AC30 heads and that rabbit hole has eventually led me to the Rocket. (I have also been fascinated by Ken and Trainwreck for a long time btw). I have a a few amp builds, Doug Hammonds Firefly, Ampmaker 18watt and Dave Hunters 2 Stroke (sort of 5F2A) under my belt and with a selection of 10" and 12" Cabs, home made attenuators and a Mesa Cab Clone another head would make much more sense for me nowadays.

I don't know whether to source the parts piecemeal like I did with the 2 Stroke or buy a kit like I did with the 18watt which was obviously easier. I have seen a Rocket kit here in the UK. https://modulusamplification.com/Wrocke ... 68809.aspx but looking at the layout it differs from others I have seen (including the one here) with fewer (3) filter caps and 2 big (16uf 500v) caps in the preamp section which seems weird. Can't find any reviews on this specific kit but have seen good things written about the Modulus guy in general.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Wag

Mike is great. The reason it's different from the rocket is that the kit is really the Z Wreck( Dr Z-brad Paisley rocket variant). I prompted Mike into this when I wanted to build a Z-wreck/rocket type amp and got him to put together the parts, this then became the kit.

it's a great amp, Mike offers a great service to us UK builders.

M
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Do build a Rocket... it just may become your favorite.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo