Express build: transformers in Europe? help

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Jaqen

Express build: transformers in Europe? help

Post by Jaqen »

Hello everyone,
I'm starting to build a new Express clone, but I'm really struggling to find good trannies in Europe. I contacted RJ, but he doesn't ship to Italy. No answer from Pacific Transformers.
The only solutions that I found are the following:

1) Mercury Magnetics dealer in Nederlands:

1x MM TW-KF-PE: Euro 345 (410 USD)
1x MM TW-KF-OT: Euro 320 (380 USD) OR 1x MM STANCOR-A3801-O: Eur 245 (290 USD) (which is better BTW?)

2) Online shops in EU:
PT: Hammond Trainwreck Express Power Transformer from don-audio.com in Germany: Eur 135 (160 USD)
OT: Tube-town.de - TT Trainwreck Express Style Output transformer 6k6 / 4-8-16 Ohm: Eur 75 (90 USD)

Of course the MM trannies should be better, but the difference in costs it's remarkable.

Any suggestions/alternatives?
Someone here in the forum has some spare transformers?

Thanks!!
ChopSauce

Re: Express build: transformers in Europe? help

Post by ChopSauce »

From my reading this forum:

- TT transformers are made by inMADout, in Italy ;

- inMADout has a good reputation &

- MM transformers aren't necessarily worth the extra cost.
Groove1

Post by Groove1 »

I agree with ChopSauce.

„inMADout” in Italy make great Irons. In 2018 I ordered one PT Custom Wound with Express Specs from InMADout. Tube Town didn’t had Express Transformers in Stock at this time.
As an OT I purchased a JTM Style also with Express Specs from Tube Town, also made for TT from InMADOut. Both are great Transformers and work very well in my Express Clone.

Best, Groove
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Maurizio seems a good chap, dunno if he has Express spec patterns already designed.

PIEMME ELEKTRA srl Società Unipersonale

Viale Italia, 8 - 65010 Collecorvino (PE)

Tel e Fax: (+39) 085 82 93 091 – Fax2: 178 603 6586

www.piemme-elektra.it - e-mail: info@piemme-elektra.it
Jaqen

Post by Jaqen »

Hi guys,
thanks for your reply.
I wasn't aware of InMADout.. it seems a good option! Looking on their website it seems that they've moved to UK.. http://www.inmadout.com/contact.asp

Regarding Tube-Town, they have in stock both the PT and the OT:
PT: https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/tt-tr ... ormer.html
OT: https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/tt-tr ... 6-ohm.html

Looked on the Piemme-Elektra website.. they have a huge selection of audio trannies! No specific TW irons, but I could ask for sure.

So now I'm a bit undecided.. expecially on the output trasformer that, reading the forum, seems to be one of the most important part of an express clone. The Mercury Magnetic Stancor clone, not considering the price, would give a more correct/consistent sound over the other manufacturers, or the differences are really subtle and subjective? Because I can consider to mix the manufacturers: the MM OT and a cheaper PT from tube town or others.

Thanks again for your tips!
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

I haven't had any answer myself about inMADout having a UK based website and italian made products. Maybe an association between a manufacturer and a reseller?

There seem to be other good - especially for the price - manufacturers in Italy, as noted above, but I don't know about them.
Jaqen wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:55 amThe Mercury Magnetic Stancor clone, not considering the price, would give a more correct/consistent sound over the other manufacturers, or the differences are really subtle and subjective?
Who ever wrote this? I'm afraid this is just what the price suggests.

The point is MM seem to never made his specs public, which makes several builders here feeling not comfortable with their products. From my biased understanding...

At least, considering the possiblity that you have custom spec'd transformers made in Europe, I don't see the point in paying for additional taxes, shipping, etc for trannies already on the slightly (too) expensive side of the quality/price ratio. It's not like we were in the US, willing to pay the price for the quality of life in our own country... :?
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Just to note that MM do not claim to be literal clones, rather the marketing hype is toneclone. Because they use a nylon bobbin, no matter how the transformer being copied was constructed.
Which, if you look into the rather fiddly craftsmanship required for the old fashioned paper method, makes sense from a production / business perspective. But it’s pretty far off being an exact reproduction, irrespective of how they perform.
But I think in reality, a key thing to mimic the performance is to use the same materials and winding patterns. Modern transformer designers are a bit too keen to use modern materials with better specs, and improve on perhaps quirky design choices, as modern CAD software allows parameters to be easily tweaked for optimum performance.
So at least MM should know not to do that kinda thing.

Another thing to verify, especially if using a premade and drilled chassis, is that mounting, footprint, wire outlets and overall outline dimensions match up.
Jaqen

Post by Jaqen »

Ok guys, thanks so much for your tips.
I'll go for the Tube Town irons!