Model or even Kit suggestions ?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

hebaton

Model or even Kit suggestions ?

Post by hebaton »

O.K., I only just discovered Trainwrek amps...and I am 63. Ong story made short, I recently got a 5E3 clone and absolutely love it. Went looking for something as touch sensitive with different character and heard a Trainwrek express demo that floored me. Now can someone point me to sources for perhaps a kit, or parts list and build sport ?

I have a Tryanor YBA-1 am willing to take apart if it can be a starting point...
brewdude

Re: Model or even Kit suggestions ?

Post by brewdude »

Here’s a couple reference threads from the train wreck files forum.

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5691

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I’ve not built an express yet, but conventional wisdom would suggest to me that the devil is in the details. I get the feeling that layout details are as critical as component choices. It might be hard to adapt to an existing conventional traditional amp donor… Or, maybe it will be fantastic regardless—like I said I don’t have experience (I’ve been reluctant because I cannot be loud).
hebaton

Post by hebaton »

Thank you so much, lots of great info there !
I read references to Heyboer trannies. What do I need to get and where do I get them from ( transformers ) ??
I am really wanting to get into this a.s.a.p.
TO your knowlage, can I salvage anything from the Traynor YBA-1 to get this project on the road ?
I also have an aluminum Marshall 2203 chassis and ourput tranny on hand that could be used. And as I said, THe traynor can be sacrificed for this...
hebaton

Post by hebaton »

brewdude wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:37 pm I’ve not built an express yet, but conventional wisdom would suggest to me that the devil is in the details. I get the feeling that layout details are as critical as component choices. It might be hard to adapt to an existing conventional traditional amp donor… Or, maybe it will be fantastic regardless—like I said I don’t have experience (I’ve been reluctant because I cannot be loud).
How loud does this hng get, compared to the 5E3...or would a JTM45 be a better comparaison ?
hebaton

Post by hebaton »

O.k.
WHo around here will build me one ? a Trainwrek Express clone that is ?
Or should my question be, wich one of you gys will build me the best one ?
I am serious, I have a Grestch and anC15 on theline !
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Doesn't Ken himself wrote that Rocket owners seem to be the most satisfied with their amps, according to the lowest turnaround?

If output volume is an issue, it seems that a VVR is a worthy solution.

NB I can be mistaking because I rarely read TW related material
romberg

Post by romberg »

hebaton wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:44 pm How loud does this hng get, compared to the 5E3...or would a JTM45 be a better comparaison ?
An express is (at about 30 watts) just about as loud as either of those (so close you wont be able to hear the difference). But... It is at full volume all the time. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc3Xi6aAG80

Mike