Pete Thorn Trainwreck Video

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Re: Pete Thorn Trainwreck Video

Post by Reeltarded »

Pretty sure Chante is 68k in that position. Deleted para'd 2n2 and my amp sounds like that amp and responds similarly in similar control conditions.

WOW
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Beautiful sounding amp, love the Kim Mitchell licks he played at 11:25. It nailed his tone!

Cheers
Guy
2tone

Post by 2tone »

yes, 68k
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

2tone wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:38 pmyes, 68k

Thank you! The action is remarkably similar. That is fantastic.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

We're talkin' R7, right?
I put a resistor in series with a trimmer there for tweaking, but haven't tried it as low as 68k. Must do so.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

isn't 68k the standard value for R7?

M
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Just checked. The layout shows 68k, but the schematic shows a range of 33-150k.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I tried them all and was not blown away. My amp was built with the mod notes 2n2. It has to be a late idea for strat players with low value R7 and probably only ever considered because average amps kept getting deeper thump over the years.

DOUBLED COUPLER IS NOT AN ANSWER

I think the added cap is a tremendous mistake. The original design is already a bass pump. Adding that cap does nothing but rob the top to pay the bottom (and all it really does is a horrible sustain killing fur) At any volume setting over 3.5ish the el84 whrrrr takes over and will never extend like a Marshall with 34s. The 84s are the primary voice at this point.. the 2n2 added absolutely ruins the midband sing. It's like punching Ella in the stomach everytime she opens her mouth.

68k and wipe any other mods. That is the spirit of Liverpool. If you want anything else but the AMAZING mid-forward sound, texture, and cry of Chante..

Build a Rocket

I got my amp in 2017 and avoided any changes for a long time. It was interesting but not a magical animal. The build is so beautiful I was afraid of it. Now, there is a lot of reason to be extremely afraid. It's a vintage voice that sounds like nothing else. It's a cheetah. It sounds and responds EXACTLY like the video.

I implore you all with Liverpool amps to do this thing. Do it early plain and stock. Use 68k R7. Don't even ask.. just do this. Welcome to the bigtime. It's insanely good. It takes a LOT of amp to make me not default to a Marshall. This amp is a LOT of amp.

A LOT OF AMP

Ipad mic has issues or this would be a clip instead of a pic.
14B5556F-6C62-43AE-940B-506FB90080BD.jpeg
The last few seconds before I snipped the 2n2
780592C2-3EC2-43A3-879F-0A70EAED3CB9.jpeg
The next time I flipped the switch
E5D5D4BC-05A8-4205-B0C5-D6D2DDA862DD.jpeg
booyah
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

Thanks for the info Miles, and I will try this on my Liverpool and report back

Plus I don’t want to punch Ella in the stomach
2tone

Post by 2tone »

I have piggy backed the coupling caps in 2 Liverpools, an original per advice from Ken, in which I liked the results, and in a JM build, which I also liked the results. I think it depends on the amp as to the coupling cap mod ..
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I built a 4 stage plate drive amp with controls for each stage.. that amp taught me so much about how to feed each section with the previous and what is developed and where its best..

The doubling thing just makes the lower octave rumpy with all my guitars.. I don't have anything with high output here to try, but I think mid focused older JB models or Duncan Distortions could abuse the added cap with a nice outcome.. but meh THIS ROCKS lol

Thanks Mr. 2tone. You are a man amongst mens.
Roe

Post by Roe »

In my express, I tried replacing the 150k/2n2 combo on v2 with 100k/3n3 for less gain. Also, I tried using 150k/2.2+2.2uf [4.4uf] for a fatter tone. But I've concluded that the 150k/2n2 is absolutely essential, while the 4.4 is too muddy. (the 100k/3.3uf is ok for cleaner tones but I prefer aggession). however, this presupposes light strings and vintage output pickups (using the volume control extensively)
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

It seems to me that Ken didn't accidently build an amp! :D

This video has written over my old notions. Imagine imagining what this circuit should be.. and the discovery that you can't touch a thing and beat the original form.

After this (humbling) experience I think Express is somewhat easier on me based only on the output section extension. My years and ears. Makes me glad I wasn't born 20 years before automobiles became a thing.

You guys.. tsk.. I'm going to lower my carriage another 9 inches and swap horses. I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe not enough apples?

I'm not as clever as I think, in any case... :)
Finom1

Post by Finom1 »

Question:
What transformers would someone use to build an TW Express now?

Who builds the best sounding Expression with that warm growl and singing sustain I love?

The sound I am looking for:
I like the singing clean harmonic rich sound of the of this clip, 1959 Gibson Les Paul + Trainwreck Amp tech talk w/ Glen Kuykendall - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc3Xi6aAG80

This is what I want to sound like, Leslie West in the early years, Mississippi Queen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbP4qf8PjfI

Thanks in advance for any help.

Is there a better place for me to ask this question, if so, please provide me with a link.

Thanks again for helping and to all the people sharing their wisdom with us!!!
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

Great Sounding Amp, Great Sounding guitars, Great sounding guitar player... almost perfect except you get to hear a little bit of hum when he is telling the story of everything. That little touch of hum gives me the feeling the recording is authentic and not a studio creation. Has me thinking I'll finish the Liverpool on my workbench.
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/