Pete Thorn Trainwreck Video

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

aceofbones

Pete Thorn Trainwreck Video

Post by aceofbones »

Hey guys,

Check this out, Pete got some great sounds out of this Liverpool.

redshark

Re: Pete Thorn Trainwreck Video

Post by redshark »

That Liverpool sounds amazing!! Great video Pete Thorn.
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

Thanks for posting.... great video.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Pete gets great tone out of string and sticks.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

xtian wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:59 pm Pete gets great tone out of string and sticks.
HAHAHAHAHAHA! That's very true.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

that's one of the best amp reviews I've seen. Kudos Pete Thorn :)

That's everything I love about a wreck :)

Made me chuckle when you hear him speak and you hear the noise/hum/sizzle from the amp :mrgreen:

The liverpool is the only wreck I haven't made........ hmmmmmmmm

M
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

norburybrook wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:34 am that's one of the best amp reviews I've seen. Kudos Pete Thorn :)
Agreed. I thought he did a fantastic job. Easily the best trainwreck review I've been able to find. Most others I've come across have terrible audio quality.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

norburybrook wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:34 am that's one of the best amp reviews I've seen. Kudos Pete Thorn :)

The liverpool is the only wreck I haven't made........ hmmmmmmmm

M
That amp is a particularly GREAT version of itself.. uhh I think the tubes matter MOST in the Pool. Real Mullards and your flavor of TF, Mullard or Amperex are a major big deal.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
2tone

Post by 2tone »

This was my Liverpool "Chante".. Sold to Gene at Ultrasound. She had NOS Euro tubes, but I think they were changed by the new buyer. I had Valvo's in the amp. But the Liverpools sound great with lots of different European tubes.. I never did prefer Mullards tho.. Bugle Boys, Valvo's and some Telefunkens..
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

2tone wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:47 pm This was my Liverpool "Chante".. Sold to Gene at Ultrasound. She had NOS Euro tubes, but I think they were changed by the new buyer. I had Valvo's in the amp. But the Liverpools sound great with lots of different European tubes.. I never did prefer Mullards tho.. Bugle Boys, Valvo's and some Telefunkens..
Valvo's could be Mullards as they were often relabeled Mullard, RFT ect. I have a quad of Valvo labeled Mullard Blackburn EL84s. Bugleboys were just a label too I believe to allways be Holland Philips.
2tone

Post by 2tone »

real Valvo's had the pipe organ type of grid supports at the top.. Lots of cross labeling is out there. You have to know the construction fine points to identify a tube by manufacturer, and codes etc.. Real Bugle Boys are discernable from the " labeled as " tubes.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I am revisiting the 150k resistor drop to 56k. I did it to give more headroom but I think maybe (even though it totally bottoms out at 6 with PAFs) the earlier sing is better. It might even be better with higher output pickups. I am really impressed with THAT amp.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

what in the hell

150k is insanity. Attack disappears and definition is umm undefineded. I would say something about Eric Clapton, but I don't want to be mean.
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

2tone wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:47 pm This was my Liverpool "Chante".. Sold to Gene at Ultrasound. She had NOS Euro tubes, but I think they were changed by the new buyer. I had Valvo's in the amp. But the Liverpools sound great with lots of different European tubes.. I never did prefer Mullards tho.. Bugle Boys, Valvo's and some Telefunkens..
I wish I remembered what Liverpool ultrasound lent one of the guys at the NJ amp show a few years back. there was a guy playing a big hollow body guitar through it that sounded amazing. at least that's what I remember, the guy could have been playing something else, but im 100% sure the amp sounded amazing. can't remember what the logo was. part of me is thinking it's name was Fannie Mae but I could be totally wrong
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I wish I knew what that resistor value was on Chante, but I am going to guess 68k has to be close. I love the sing and harmonic balance of that amp most of all out of everything I have heard.