Pete Thorn Trainwreck Video

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RockinRocket

Re: Pete Thorn Trainwreck Video

Post by RockinRocket »

RJ Guitars wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:40 am Great Sounding Amp, Great Sounding guitars, Great sounding guitar player... almost perfect except you get to hear a little bit of hum when he is telling the story of everything. That little touch of hum gives me the feeling the recording is authentic and not a studio creation. Has me thinking I'll finish the Liverpool on my workbench.
Nice catch!
I've been going over my builds in regard's to hum and diming the amp for stability and the hum is identical. Dime every control and the hum is pretty annoying.

I'll be honest I don't think a original amp will be stable with every control set to 10. Moving solid core wire in an out of place would show signs of distress and the wiring in Kens amps look clean. Even with a 2k2 on V1 and .820 on the other you typically can't get past the sweet spot on the amp. Neuter the amp with large grid stoppers and the amp looses its liveliness and touch responsiveness.
2tone

Post by 2tone »

Lots of original Trainwreck Expresses and Liverpools were stable at full volume. I had several. However I would never run them like that because they were too dense and "muddied". And most did not have the grid stoppers..
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

2tone wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:14 pm Lots of original Trainwreck Expresses and Liverpools were stable at full volume. I had several. However I would never run them like that because they were too dense and "muddied". And most did not have the grid stoppers..
Your amps were stable full volume including TMB and presence set to 10/max?

I've seen some amps that have a grid stopper on the 3rd stage but to be honest a 2k2 and .820 won't really do anything.
2tone

Post by 2tone »

yes, all but 2.. And I've heard two other Trainwrecks played by the owner over the phone, dimed and stable..Not the sound I would choose, but yes they were stable. The player played fast shred riffs etc that were still intelligible...
Ledvedder5150

Post by Ledvedder5150 »

Sorry for bumping an older thread. I've recently discovered these amps. I've built several Marshall and Vox style amps, but I've always leaned towards the EL34 sound. So I'm trying to decide if I want to build a Liverpool or an Express. But I sure do love the tones he's getting.
Check out my band: https://www.facebook.com/ungluedband
dblgun

Post by dblgun »

Ledvedder5150 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:07 pm Sorry for bumping an older thread. I've recently discovered these amps. I've built several Marshall and Vox style amps, but I've always leaned towards the EL34 sound. So I'm trying to decide if I want to build a Liverpool or an Express. But I sure do love the tones he's getting.
The answer is simple, both!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Reeltarded wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:39 pm I wish I knew what that resistor value was on Chante, but I am going to guess 68k has to be close. I love the sing and harmonic balance of that amp most of all out of everything I have heard.
I think 68K works best, 56K is too tame. 68K has the right amount of crazy.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Mark wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:07 am
Reeltarded wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:39 pm I wish I knew what that resistor value was on Chante, but I am going to guess 68k has to be close. I love the sing and harmonic balance of that amp most of all out of everything I have heard.
I think 68K works best, 56K is too tame. 68K has the right amount of crazy.
2tone confirmed the circuit. Rocks!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.