Output tranny again

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

PeteRH

Re: Output tranny again

Post by PeteRH »

Hi Moose,
I wont be wasting my time special ordering trannies from Phil. I did not realise your trannies were M26 and did not know you were still selling them. You should put them up in the "for sale" area.

The difference between M19 and M26 is miniscule. When I last ordered from Phil (quite a while ago) I think he only had M50 and M6 in stock.....I would have been happy to take M19,M22,M26 anything in that middle range.
Cheers
Pete
Bombay

test

Post by Bombay »

Hey PeteRH,

I did a few comparisons between the two OT's and found that the Stancor more than likely has a lower grade lam in it than the Heyboer does. Of course I don't know if Heyboer included the extra windings in their OT that is found in the Stancor. This will effect the tone if they were left out.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Hi Moose, do you have any of the OT's in stock. I have an extra PT that I can use to make a second amp :wink:

Allynmey

BTW, those OT's sound great HeeBGB used some also in his clone and side by side it was an almost exact sound copy of Francesca. He did a nice job. Of course, we had Francesca on the bench to make any changes :wink:
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dear Bombay

I'm interested how the extra windings in the output transformer would alter the tone of the amp?

Dear Allynmey

What are your thoughts on building a clone along side an actual Trainwreck?

Has ther been much difference in tone and what are the sonic differences between the two amps?

Thanks for your help.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Bombay

Windings

Post by Bombay »

Hey Mark,

I can't give you a technical reason why the windings effect the tone but I have heard this difference with the Marshall transformers that have a 100V winding and the ones that do not, only difference between them is the 100V winding. The OT with the 100V winding will have a little more meat to it than the one without the winding. I would think that since the 3801 has a 250 ohm tap as well as a 500 ohm tap that the transformer would have a little more to it that one with the windings left out. I think the correct way to think of this would be more along the lines of the inductance of the OT.

I should ask Heyboer to make me two of these transformers to test, one with the extra windings and the M6 lams and one with the M50 lams. This should allow me to compare them to the 3801 more accurately.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dear Brian

I would be very curious as to the outcome of such an experiment, but are you sure that you want to wear the cost?

I suppose the other thing that I wonder about is, did Ken Fischer do away with the extra windings when he had Pacific build transformers for him (which seem to be the standard transformers for most people), this does seem to be the case when he had Heybour build transformers for him.

Do you suppose that the Stancors are the perfect transformer for Express and Liverpool amps or something that he used till he discovered the Pacific transformers?

I should point out that I'm not trying to throw a spanner in the works, I don't want to be jumping to any conclusions through my assumptions.

Thanks for your reply Brian, and I hope to build a JTM-45 with your transformers. :)
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Bombay

cost

Post by Bombay »

Hey Mark,

My curiosity always outways my fear of cost. :wink: I just need to know if they wound the extra coils or not, then I can proceed. I have Phil looking into it for me. An easy way to find out what Pacific is doing is to teardown a unit and see what's going on in there. I really don't like the idea of killing a working transformer though.

As for the best OT...........as always, it's up to the individual. I think Ken was on the search just as we are......or maybe he was looking for a cheap replacement. ;)

The price of steel has made the price of my transformers go up. I have to wait for the next shipment to see what I have to charge this year. :( I will always try to offer the best price though. Just let me know and I will cut you a good deal. Enough spam. :P Back to the wreck talk. :)
Mark

The outcome of this experiment?

Post by Mark »

Dear Brian

Have you received the custom wound transformer from Heybour, if so what did it sound like?

What are your thoughts on it all?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Bombay

OT

Post by Bombay »

Hey Mark,

No OT yet. Things are a bit busy over there at the moment. I am doing a TAD/Sozo cap comparison this weekend though. :wink:
dobbhill

Post by dobbhill »

I'd love to hear a report on that comparison, please!
Thanks, D
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Mark wrote:Dear Bombay

I'm interested how the extra windings in the output transformer would alter the tone of the amp?

Dear Allynmey

What are your thoughts on building a clone along side an actual Trainwreck?

Has ther been much difference in tone and what are the sonic differences between the two amps?

Thanks for your help.
Hi Mark, sorry I missed this post. I was just catching up on all the posts when I saw it. First, It was an advantage to have Francesca sitting next to Gregs amp in all it naked beauty :D . We fired up Gregs and made some changes to more closely match Francesca and Kelly '90 on the fly. It was close...real close. It really was hard to tell them apart. Currently Nik is working on a chassis and a layout for Francesca/Kelly '90 and it looks very good. it is still unfinished and he will send me one when it's finished. He does a great job on chassis and we just ordered 5 TW and a Liverpool chassis from him. We will report back as the build goes. we are going to give an exact replica try. We got the exact Mallory OD caps and Dana Hall is getting/making some perfboard (see his post here on the site) even down to the DYMO label maker for the back! :lol: The trannys that we used were from Moose. They are very good looking and sounding. They are a great value and I would suggest that people save their time hunting for trannys and buy from Moose and save their time for building. I'll keep you informed of our progress. send me an e-mail at allynmey at aol dot com and I'll email you a surprise!

Allynmey
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dear Allymey

Thanks for your reply and the surprise it was cool, but you know that. I look forward to seeing more pictures and recordings of your amp.

I dare say I will have to start getting it together with an Express amp.

I still think the real sleeper is the Rocket, the prototype I built sounded every bit as nice as an Express style amp, though of course it is a very different sounding amp. I think if you use a standard Strat, the Rocket is the way to fly.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott