How would you describe the difference between a Trainwreck and a Dumble to a Marshall owner?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

boyfarrell

How would you describe the difference between a Trainwreck and a Dumble to a Marshall owner?

Post by boyfarrell »

Hello,

If this has been answered already, I failed to find it, sorry.

I'm interested in getting a feel/big picture of these different amplifiers. I know it might be hard to describe and a bit subjective, but maybe there is consensus here at Amp Garage about what to expect from these amps, where they shine individually.

PS. As this is the Trainwreck forum, feel free to comment on that only, I didn't want to spam too much!
romberg

Re: How would you describe the difference between a Trainwreck and a Dumble to a Marshall owner?

Post by romberg »

What kind of marshall? What kind of trainwreck/Dumble? Without being more specific, it is hard to even make a very general comparison. The range of characteristics is pretty large.

Mike
norburybrook

Re: How would you describe the difference between a Trainwreck and a Dumble to a Marshall owner?

Post by norburybrook »

A dumble ODS gets it's overdrive from an extra gain stage in the pre amp so is a master volume amp with pre amp distortion .

A trainwreck is a non master volume amp that overdrives the power section as well. It's an amp that you need to use your guitar volume control to get clean to dirty with not a footswitch.

The trainwrecks are definitely a lot brighter and sparkly than an ODS and are very touch sensitive. Dumble ODS is all about the midrange :)

They actually blend well with an ODS amp together you just have to flip the phase though as they're out of phase.

M
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

From what little I know, one thing that maybe can be said is a wreck is more of a " hot rod marshall" and dumble is more of a "hot rod fender". But this is a very loosey goosey statement. I have a dumble clone and a twin and while they sound incredibly different the dumble definitely has that punch that a twin reverb has like few other fender Amps.

Now I just need to build a trainwreck and a jtm45......