Thought of building a Rocket

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

wpaulvogel

Thought of building a Rocket

Post by wpaulvogel »

I’ve got pretty much everything I need to build a Rocket. I’ve got a set of Edcor transformers. The power transformer is 275-0-275 @250mA 5@3A 6.3@5A. The output transformer is 4.2k 60 watts and choke is 15 Henry @75mA 326 ohms. I’ve got chassis’s & all the small parts. The cabinet is what I’m questioning. I’ve got Cherry boards and I’ve built 4 Trainwreck cabinets but everybody that’s going to gig the amps bitches about the hardwood cabinets being too nice to show. I personally like the hardwood and think it’s just one of the things that sets the amps apart from other stuff but I sell amps. What do y’all think about the Rocket? I’ve had 3 Express and 1 Liverpool. Is the Rocket that much different than the Liverpool? An Express is better to me than a Liverpool. Is a Rocket more tame?
joeboo88

Re: Thought of building a Rocket

Post by joeboo88 »

I’ve built all of these, I find the Rocket more useful in the fact pedals work way better through it.
The Express and Liverpool do not like pedals, IMO ( my amps anyways )

Also The Rocket does cook when pushed hard and the overdrive on it when it get there is awesome, I find
Everyone has different tastes, but I find my Rocket the one I turn on over the others

Good luck, Joe.
wpaulvogel

Post by wpaulvogel »

I also found that the Express and Liverpool, which have some hiss, get more noisy with pedals. I prefer a little reverb and delay going into the amp. Don’t get me wrong, an Express is awesome. A Rocket seems to be more what I’m after.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

The underlying character of a Rocket is similar to that of the Express and Liverpool, particularly the latter. However, the Rocket has more PS sag, less gain, and a basically cleaner tone. My preference is Rockets - I've built a bunch of them, but all with modifications to allow it to generate more distortion, and to allow more tone shaping to cut some of the bass that can get flubby. My Rockets can be used in stock configuration or with the modifications using pull-switch pots. I've also built them using original type components and layout, and the others with a different grounding scheme (very quiet), different caps, different PS layout, a pair of 5881 tubes, with reverb, and one with VVR and master volume (meh).

Build a Rocket. Even stock, with pedals in front of it. The amp will sound great, and have a different flavor from your Express and Liverpool.
xtian

Post by xtian »

I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

xtian wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:20 pm Image
Brilliant :) .... and a brilliant song/Album too :)

I love my Rocket, as people say it's a lot more user friendly than an express. You can also do the Z-Wreck which is a rocket with some tweaks. Have search for my build thread to see the layout I used.

Great amp.

M

p.s. I agree about the hardwood cabinet I love them and agree it's what sets Trainwreck amps apart , I couldn't find a cabinet maker tough so did tolex.
IMG_20210909_124805.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

If you like Vox you will like Rocket.

That cannot be said about the other two. OMG Liverpool is like a crackhead settling for meth.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Yeah. I don't even like pulling these off my metal shelving unit for servicing! Always worrying about scratch and dents even sitting in my music room.

DSCN1270.JPG
On the other hand, no worries about this Komet-style amp with a real Komet cabinet. Best of both - Tolex and wood.

DSCN5295.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Tolex and wood looks great :) I used that method on my last express :)

IMG_20190808_174510-01.jpeg

M
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Nice!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

All beautiful cabinet work shown. I think, If I were building to gig with it, Tolex and wood look right to me. You don't want a piece of furniture. It will only encourage someone to steal it. You can get over the dings. One big advantage of building for Tolex covering is that you can use SPF (spruce/pine/fir) from the big box store cull lumber pile at 70% off. It's pretty easy to get a couple of 20" and a couple of 10" boards out of one otherwise bad looking piece of lumber, even if you need to joint/glue to get the width you need, and the SPF is much easier to work on. Of course, that assumes you have to tools and know how.