New trainwreck build noise issues

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

audiosalvage

Re: New trainwreck build noise issues

Post by audiosalvage »

Caps are all the same brand. I did change out the cap going to the treble pot and the rumble stopped. Volume control is smooth and quiet now. This amp still is a little tinny/trebley and sort of out of control. Distortion is a bit fizzy and farty even with guitar volume low. But we're getting there.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Glad you got there, but need I understand that the caps were not the CD branded ones?

I need to order one to troubleshoot my own build and would have appreciated to know... :mrgreen:
audiosalvage

Post by audiosalvage »

These are the black generic ones you get from antique electronics. I've temporaraly replaced it with the same type so you have incosistancy
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Thanks!
wpaulvogel

Post by wpaulvogel »

I’ve had the trouble with any of the black micas. CDE branded or generic. Like I said the brown or tan 1000v seem to live. I’ve had them go south in the tonestack and across the phase inverter plates.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Ok! Thank you very much. So I won't bother paying the extra EUR(s) for the CDM branded ones. I will just buy a few generic ones.

I wish I didn't have to pay the additional 20 EUR (without VAT) shipping fee + extra fees for paying outside EU to Mouser for ordering the brown or tan ones.
bepone

Post by bepone »

@Chopsauce,
ma Mouser you dont use if order is below 50Eur.. you have a lot of stores in EU, plus ebay.de, ebay.it where you can find all for few eur of shipping.. also check local electronic components stores in your city, something good can be found remaining from the past.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Thanks, but there is no such thing as a local reseller in my city anymore... :(

These http://www.banzaimusic.com/Silver-Mica-CD19-500pF.html appear to be the good ones. I just received them from the post.

EDIT : these CD19 appear to be 500V rated so not sure these are the good ones. At least their volume is more than the double of the black ones I have.
Last edited by ChopSauce on Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

:?
(just willing to edit the post above)