BOM?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

BOM?

Post by LeftyStrat »

I've decided to put together a BOM for the Express in a format that can be uploaded to Mouser as a project file. I'm thinking of doing one for each schematic version, and one that would be a union of the various values on all schems as the "experimenters" version. We could put it in the files section and it would be easier for people to place an order at Mouser for all the parts that Mouser has available (you'd still need iron, chassis, etc.).

I have a couple of questions:

- What extra values for the experimentors version besides those on the schems? In particular, the thread on "How did you reach stability?" can provide some ideas. Extra caps, resistors, etc that might be needed for tweaks.
- What types of resistors? I'm partial to the Vishay/Dale Mil-Spec Low noise half watters (Mouser # 71-RN65D-F-<value>), but what are others opinions? These are a little more expensive (.32)
- Electrolytics? What brand?
- Coulping caps? Mallory?
- The 9.1k values in the power supply don't have a wattage rating, is 1/2 okay here?
- Pots?

It's possible I could put together a web app that people could choose between "on the cheap" and "best quality", maybe select the schems and optional parts and then have the app generate a BOM. It would be fun to do and I would like to give back to the community.

Comments? Suggestions?
Omar

Re: BOM?

Post by Omar »

Lefty,
I just replaced all the carbon comp resistors with the Dale/Vishay's you mentioned in my Twreck clone and would highly recommend it. My amp sounds so much better. I think I spent a total of $8 to replace all the 1/2 watt resistors plus a few extra when I ordered from Mouser.

For electrolytics, I like the Mallory TC series. This is the same cap used by Soldano. They are pricey, however. They are the only brand I found that makes a 200uF/350VDC cap.

I like the Mallory 150 for coupling caps.

Just my 2 cents

Omar
Tone by misadventure
Rick

Post by Rick »

I'm still looking for a straight forward text based Express BOM. Anyone have one they can post or email me? Thanks, Rick
Beerman

Post by Beerman »

I think it's a great idea. In terms of intellectual property it's perhaps something saleable.... :? imagine software that the operator uploads a schematic at the front end, software then interprets this, identifies components, groups them according to use, and operators preferred brands/types, and crossreferences a supplier catalogue for part numbers, price and availability...

Every purchasing officer for every electronics manufacturer wants this...

I understand that what you suggested was somewhat less broad based, but imagine what you do with it.... :shock:

hang on wait a minute....... is there software like this already available??....

Post by Rick »

I just want a simple bill of materials. I can't believe this hasn't been done by now...

OK, I decoded the XLS sheet in OpenOffice and then edited out the part number prefixes in Notepad for the resistors. Then I entered all the part numbers into the Mouser order form to decode the caps and finally arrived at this. The actual numbers of each part required have to be taken from the schematic I guess. At least this will get the parts acquisition going, I hope. If anyone notices any discrepancies/mistakes, please point them out. Rick

100K-RC 10 1/2 Watt Resistor
1.5K-RC 10 1/2 Watt Resistor
150K-RC 10 1/2 Watt Resistor
2.7K-RC 10 1/2 Watt Resistor
2K-RC 10 1/2 Watt Resistor
10K-RC 10 1/2 Watt Resistor
220K-RC 10 1/2 Watt Resistor
470-RC 10 1 Watt Resistor
82K-RC 10 1/2 Watt Resistor
15K-RC 10 1/2 Watt Resistor
47K-RC 10 1/2 Watt Resistor
1.0K-RC 1 25 Watt Power Resistor
1.5K-RC 2 2 Watt Power Resistor
100k-RC 2 3 Watt Power Resistor
9.1K-RC 4 3 Watt Power Resistor
1K0 2 5 Watt Power Resistor

Mallory DC Film Capacitors
630V .022uF 5% - 4

Mallory DC Film Capacitors
630V .1uF 5% 3

Mallory DC Film Capacitors 1
630V .0022uF 5%

CDE Mica Radial Lead Capacitors 2
MICA 500PF500V J

CDE Mica Radial Lead Capacitors 1
MICA 100PF500VJ

CDE Mica Radial Lead Capacitors 1
MICA 47PF500VJ

Axial Electrolytic Capacitors 3
450V 20uF

Axial Electrolytic Capacitors 3
450V 40uF

Axial Electrolytic Capacitors 2
150V 10 uF

Axial Electrolytic Capacitors 2
25V 25uF
lastwinj

Post by lastwinj »

1watt carbon film from mouser for an express. accept no substitutes. :)

the 9.1k should be 1w.

germ
Rick

Post by Rick »

Nik's layout shows the 9.1K on the recto board off the B+ line as all 4 being 3 watts which makes sense to me, being B+ dropping resistors. But what do I know? :?

Are you saying all the smaller resistors should be 1 watt carbon film instead of 1/2 watt?
Thanks